Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th February 2020, 01:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
With the stop and fix you could try replenishment very much the same as I do for colour printing. For every 80sq inches of paper add 100cc of each which will keep them active for a long time. It may even work a time with the developer (Diluted form) but I prefer to ditch the old and start again.
I've never heard of such a high amount of replenishment liquids John.

I follow the Nova instructions for their slot processors, and add 10ml of working strength developer etc. per 10" x 8" (= 8o square inches) when doing B/W work. I generally do this at the end of session, or when about ten 10 x 8's have been printed.

To quote from the AG Photographic site (https://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/no...sor-2076-p.asp), "USAGE BASED REPLENISHMENT - Replenishment rate 10cc of working strength solution per 10x8 print i.e. 50cc per 5 prints, or equivalent print area."

Maybe the amounts are done differently with colour work? If not, I'm curious as to why you replenish the way that you do?

Terry S
Old 24th February 2020, 02:00 PM
Friend

Sorry the replenishment rate should have read 800sq ins - I will claim a typo error.
Old 24th February 2020, 05:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Sorry the replenishment rate should have read 800sq ins - I will claim a typo error.
Thanks for confirming that John.

I actually went to the AG site to make sure that I had got it right all these years, as I really do doubt my own thoughts quite a lot lately. Something to do with getting older, peeps keep telling me!

But hey, who doesn't make the odd tippo now and ben?

Terry S
Old 25th February 2020, 10:02 AM
Friend

How long do chemicals last (Roughly) in the Nova slot processors?

Thanks
David
Old 25th February 2020, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quendil View Post
How long do chemicals last (Roughly) in the Nova slot processors?

Thanks
David
I have found with mine, that as long as they are replenished regularly to top them up and the cover pipes are used, I have had Ilford's multigrade developer, diluted at 1+9, last up until about 3 months. This has been when I've only managed infrequent printing sessions, so not a lot of prints have gone through it, it has 'oxidized and gone off' I presume.

As for the stop, I change it when the colour changes to purple.

As for the fix, I keep a white board to keep track of how many prints have gone through it. I dispense with it and put in fresh, when I'm about half way through the amount that Ilford recommend. I have in the past taken it right up to their recommendations out of curiosity, but I did then get stains and had to reprint on fresh paper, so now do the above.

Terry S
Old 25th February 2020, 01:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I have found with mine, that as long as they are replenished regularly to top them up and the cover pipes are used, I have had Ilford's multigrade developer, diluted at 1+9, last up until about 3 months. This has been when I've only managed infrequent printing sessions, so not a lot of prints have gone through it, it has 'oxidized and gone off' I presume.

As for the stop, I change it when the colour changes to purple.

As for the fix, I keep a white board to keep track of how many prints have gone through it. I dispense with it and put in fresh, when I'm about half way through the amount that Ilford recommend. I have in the past taken it right up to their recommendations out of curiosity, but I did then get stains and had to reprint on fresh paper, so now do the above.

Terry S
Thanks Terry

I have a two slot processor that I have used before. I might set it up again and at least use it for contact prints as it should be easier to get going.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies