Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st May 2009, 06:53 PM
Friend

Default Extra-sharp version of D76/ID11

I'm not sure where this one came from. I've had various bits of paper with formulae on for years and only recently got round to trying this:

Metol (Elon) = 5 grams
Sodium sulphite, anhydrous = 125 grams
Hydroquinone = 12.5 grams
Sodium carbonate, anhydrous = 4 grams
Sodium bicarbonate = 1 gram
Water to make 1 litre.

'Dilute 1+4 and the developing agents will be the same as the classic D-76 (ID-11) formula when diluted 1+1, but with only half the sulphite content.
The carbonate + bicarbonate buffered accelerator instead of borax seems to provide tight grain with good sharpness. Expose your films at box speed and start with the times given for D-76 and ID-11 when diluted 1+1 as a guide and adjust times if necessary to obtain the required contrast for your own preference.'

I've used it for Delta 100, Delta 400 and HP5+, all at box speed. I found the times given by Ilford for normal ID11 (1+1), plus about 10% are about right for for me. I like what I get with it. The grain is slightly more prominent, but 'crisper', which I prefer.

I suspect it won't last as well as standard ID11, due to the lower sulphite, but I usually mix it up fresh and use it straight away.

Rob
Old 1st June 2009, 07:15 PM
Friend

Thanks for that- I will try it next chemical mixing session!
Old 5th June 2009, 03:32 AM
Friend

This is an interesting variation that I would like to try. I have been brewing D-76 without hydroquione and getting a much longer shelf life for the stock solution. It may work here as well.
Old 5th June 2009, 05:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
This is an interesting variation that I would like to try. I have been brewing D-76 without hydroquione and getting a much longer shelf life for the stock solution. It may work here as well.
Interesting. - Do you alter any of the other ingredients to compensate, or just leave out the hydroquinine? I'bd be iintersted to know, as I'm trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible, and hydroquinone is not particularly 'green'.

Rob
Old 5th June 2009, 06:57 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
I have been brewing D-76 without hydroquione and getting a much longer shelf life for the stock solution.
That seems odd to me, as metol only developers tend to lose activity as they age much more quickly than metol + hydroquinone developers. Metol combined with hydroquinone is super-additive which means that one helps to regenerate the other, thus making the developer more energetic than using metol alone.
There is a link somewhere on the site where D-76H (metol only) was found to have much poorer keeping properties than regular D-76. There is also another variant of D-76H where the borax is replaced with kodalk (sodium metaborate) which also last better than D-76H.
According to Geoffrey Crawley who did quite a lot of research into B&W film developers from the 1950`s onwards, developers which contain carbonate accelerators tend to produce crisper, sharper grain than those which contain borates.
Rob`s experiments sound interesting.

Last edited by Ag-Bromide; 5th June 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 5th June 2009, 07:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post

I suspect it won't last as well as standard ID11, due to the lower sulphite, but I usually mix it up fresh and use it straight away.

Rob
The lower sulphite content only applies to the working strength solution, as the stock solution contains 25% more sulphite than stock D-76/ID-11 and will last at least 6 months in a well stoppered bottle.
I`m glad you are getting good results with it Rob. I made it as an alternative to the discontinued Paterson Acutol which I preferred to FX-39.
Old 6th June 2009, 12:19 AM
Friend

The formula I've been using is:

Metol 2.50 g
Sodium Sulfite 100.00 g
Borax 2.00 g

I got it from APUG and have experienced its' longevity first hand. Also it can be found in the Anchell COOKBOOK as D-76H with a thanks to Grant Haist.
Old 12th March 2010, 04:18 PM
Friend

I tried this formula -- the Sodium Bicarbonate I had looked a bit 'old' but dissolved and got some good negatives-- next time I looked at the bottle there were lots of crystals in the bottom-- not sure what had crystallized out !
Old 12th March 2010, 04:38 PM
Friend

Rob,
You say the grain is slightly more prominent but crisper than normal D76 1+1. This is more or less what I get when I use D76 at 1+3. Slightly more grain, noticably more sharpness.. But the development times are quite a lot longer, of course, and you report only slightly longer times.

Alan
Old 12th March 2010, 07:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
I tried this formula -- the Sodium Bicarbonate I had looked a bit 'old' but dissolved and got some good negatives-- next time I looked at the bottle there were lots of crystals in the bottom-- not sure what had crystallized out !
I've not had this problem, although it is a bit 'cloudier' then standard ID11/D76. How long were you leaving it before it crystalised?

Rob
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies