Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th July 2020, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Alan's method is, as he says, an adaption of the Ilford method. Note that as he mentioned, the fixer needs to be fresh and at film strength (1:4) not at the weaker 1+9 that is more usual for fixing paper. It is this higher potency that allows you to fix fibre prints in 60s and thus reduce the amount of fixer that soaks into the paper which in turn (along with the clearing agent) allows less washing/soaking to remove said fixer.

Luckily for me, I have running water available so I use the same method but with a print washer rather than several changes
Old 4th August 2020, 10:28 AM
Friend

I have read all the above and agree with all that has been said. My spanner is, I have only ever used 1+9 for print fixing for a max of 2 mins for FB. I have not noticed any deterioration of the prints over time.

I have a recent bottle of ilford fix and had a look at dilution and now it only gives 1+4 for all I note that one of the over manufacturers I use gives both and my timing fall into what they suggest. I can only conclude that ilford have weakened it's formulae to take away the 1+9 or it is looking to sell more fix.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 4th August 2020, 10:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I have read all the above and agree with all that has been said. My spanner is, I have only ever used 1+9 for print fixing for a max of 2 mins for FB. I have not noticed any deterioration of the prints over time.

I have a recent bottle of ilford fix and had a look at dilution and now it only gives 1+4 for all I note that one of the over manufacturers I use gives both and my timing fall into what they suggest. I can only conclude that ilford have weakened it's formulae to take away the 1+9 or it is looking to sell more fix.
I also always use fixer at 1/9 and use 2 bath fixing, but I have noticed that Ilford no longer give any recommendation for fixing at 1 in 9, in their info papers packed with their papers, or on the web info sheets, but I have never seen any problems with the 1 in 9 dilution, and my latest fixer concentrate ( amfix 5 litres) gives 1 in 9, so maybe Ilford want to sell more fixer, personally I find Amfix or Tetenal fixer as good, and cheaper,
Richard
Old 4th August 2020, 12:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I also always use fixer at 1/9 and use 2 bath fixing, but I have noticed that Ilford no longer give any recommendation for fixing at 1 in 9, in their info papers packed with their papers, or on the web info sheets...
Richard
I too bought 5 litres of Hypam fixer recently, which on the container only says dilute 1 + 4. BUT, having just read the Ilford technical sheets, there is DEFINITELY still mentions of diluting at 1 + 9, which I have done right from the beginning of using it, when processing papers.

Check out the following link - look at page 1, 4th paragraph on the RHS; and then on page 2 RHS there is also a table of fixing times at different dilutions, including 1 + 9; and there are also more mentions of BOTH 1 + 4 AND 1+ 9 throughout the rest of the document.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/f...6/product/570/

So no, I don't think Ilford has made Hypam more dilute, but what their reasoning is for just printing 1 + 4 on the containers label, I don no know. It is something that only Ilford can explain.

Terry S
Old 4th August 2020, 01:31 PM
Friend

I downloaded and printed the information sheet for MG classic, I did it when I first started using the paper, 5 years ago, and then they gave times for Hypam and Rapid fixer at 1/9, but in the latest download, which I did a week ago as I could not find the 5 uyear old one, and in the latest they only mention Hypam and Rapid fixer as 1-4, no mention of 1-9, I never looked for the Hypam sheet as I use either Amfix or Tetenal, it is just as good and a lot cheaper,
Richard
Old 6th August 2020, 11:39 AM
Friend

To get the most out of whatever washing method you have available to you, I would thoroughly recommend reading Martin Reed's research which is available on this site:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ghlight=vortex
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 7th August 2020, 10:27 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallen View Post
To get the most out of whatever washing method you have available to you, I would thoroughly recommend reading Martin Reed's research which is available on this site:

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ghlight=vortex
I did, it is what I based my wash sequence on and subsequently my home made washer. That washer is out of date and plan to build a new one.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies