Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2019, 05:00 PM
Friend

Default Greetings and recommendations for Rollei Ortho 25 plus in Rodinal

Hi all

I'm a new forum subscriber - I lurked for a bit, I have to say your forum and especially the 'monochrome film' section is a goldmine of information!

A bit of background: I've gone back to film about two years ago, after a few years in the digital realm. I am having a great time. I actually sold my DSLR and don't miss it at all (have been using my phone for digital shots). Before my transition to digital, I used to shoot only 35mm and get a lab to process+print for me. Currently, I shoot 120, do the processing myself, and (sorry) scan, at least for the time being. When time and a new suitable flat will allow it, I hope to do my own printing too, and hope to learn about printing from this forum, too.

In terms of equipment, I love TLRs but also folding cameras. I shoot 90% Foma film, which I'm a big fan of. It's also cheap and easily available where I live (continental Europe). Foma 100 and 200 I'll usually develop in Fomadon R09 (Foma's own Rodinal) whereas I love Fomapan 400 in Fomadon Excel (Foma's Xtol clone). Sometimes if I fancy it I shoot some Delta 100, also a lovely film imho.

Now to my question: I bought some Rollei Ortho 25 'plus' in 120 because I got curious about orthochromatic film. I have shot my first roll and was looking for advice on how to process.

It would appear that the Massive Dev Chart/Film dev suggests, for 1+50 at 20C, something along the lines of 6' as a starting point, so I was going to go for that.

However, having looked at the instructions inside the film's own cardboard box, it suggests 10 minutes for 1+50 at 20C (again IE 25).

What are people experiences on the above? I should also say that I'd probably avoid a too dense negative because (again, for the time being) my final product will unfortunately be a scan.

Thanks!
Old 30th November 2019, 10:10 AM
Friend

Welcome to the forum.

I have not used ortho 25 but am a user of Rodinal /RO9 film developer and have checked the dev chart to discover that there are two times listed for 1+50 of 6 mins and 10 mins seeing as foma suggest 10 mins I would go with the manufacture.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 30th November 2019, 11:12 AM
Friend

Hello and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I have never used your film dev combo so I can't help there. Although I have used Ilford ortho plus in 4x5" in xtol. Don't expect to much of a difference to regular film however it may depend on what and how you're shooting.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 30th November 2019, 04:43 PM
Friend

Welcome trypdal. Unfortunately in relation to your question I nave never used Rollei Ortho 25 either

I found two sets of times on the MDC of 6 mins and 10mins. I'd tend to go with 10 as Foma also suggest this. I managed to find a specific individual saying that 10 mins in Rodinal was fantastic which sounds a resounding recommendation but it depends on how free or otherwise said person is with the use of such words. Some people tend to be "disaster or hyperbole" sort of people with nothing in between but it does suggest that 10 mins is at least OK

Mike
Old 30th November 2019, 05:38 PM
Friend

Hi Trypdal and welcome, again although I use Rodinal I have never used your film so can't help
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 06:03 PM
Friend

Hello again everyone, thank you for the welcome.

Interesting finding about the MDC reporting two times, 6 and 10 minutes at 1+50 (though the 10 minutes is at 21C, which I find slightly odd).

I have also checked a few photos uploaded on Flickr and it seems many users go for 6 minutes. I wonder if the MDC 6 minutes recommendation is based on some sort of consensus of film users who scan rather than print? I'm not exactly sure how the MDC data is uploaded and checked, and if is peer-reviewed or lab-tested - I'm sure many of you do.

Another thought is that it would appear there is, or has been, a film called 'Rollei Ortho 25' and film called 'Rollei Ortho 25 PLUS'. Only the latter is currently being produced. I wonder if development times are wildly different between the two hence the ambiguity?

I am tempted to go for a mean value of 8 minutes 1+50 20C for my first test. I did pull the film slightly to 20I.E. and shot the roll in quite strong light. Fingers crossed and I will report back.

The following is a screenshot of the table printed inside the film packaging, FWIW:

Last edited by trypdal; 30th November 2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 30th November 2019, 06:27 PM
Friend

I would be inclined to go with the Rollei time as on the film box, at least as a starting point
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 06:35 PM
Administrator

I suspect you may be right - I have read that scanning works better with a less contrasty negative.

Certainly, in the past there were was nothing to stop people uploading nonsense to the MDC (and they did). But I do not know if that is still the case - I have not looked at it for a few years due to that - perhaps it's time I did - it may well have improved.

As you suggest, if shooting in strong light then reducing the development a bit mey well help tame the contrast.
Old 1st December 2019, 01:51 PM
Friend

And can anyone explain what the numbers 25/15 refer to?

They are to be found towards the top and to the right of the word Dilution?

Terry S
Old 1st December 2019, 01:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And can anyone explain what the numbers 25/15 refer to?
Terry S
I believe it's '25ASA/15 DIN', where DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies