Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th December 2017, 06:25 PM
Friend

Default My latest toy ...

Evening folks.

Just wanted to share with you my latest addition to my camera family, my Box Brownie Model C. I've been developing my own films at home recently from my Bronica SQ-A. It really is addictive!

I came across Brownies after reading about Peter Lik, and that his first photo was taken with one. After a bit of research I took the plunge and got this cute little thing off eBay for £7.50! I respooled some 120 film onto the 620 spindles it came with and took it out to the pub for a test shoot. Can't wait to see what comes out

Last edited by stripmonkey; 7th December 2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 8th December 2017, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Those old cameras can give surprisingly good quality images but with a definite "look" to them.

Have fun with it. Bob.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:54 AM
Friend

It was nice to see your camera relaxing with a pint I would do the same with my SQAi but it prefers a good whisky

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 13th December 2017, 02:13 PM
Friend

I always think of this as the camera with eyes . It does stand out. In a sense it belongs to that era where things such as cars all looked distinctive and different from each other

I am sure the prints will be fine as well

Mike
Old 13th December 2017, 10:00 PM
Friend

When I was young, my father treated me to a 127 Brownie.
No control of anything. Exposure, focus, nothing.
And it took some lovely photographs of my family which I still cherish. Nowadays I have 6x6 and 5x4 cameras, I use incident and spot meters, I know about N, N+, and N- development, and split grade printing. We get ourselves tied in knots over materials and technique, and cameras like this remind us how simple and direct photography can be.
Old 14th December 2017, 02:29 PM
Friend

My father treated me to my first camera, a point and shoot that had very basic exposure control - sunny, cloudy, dark. I miss that camera, not only because my father gave it to me. I never recall a photo that was an absolute dud from that camera, but have had a few from supposedly superior cameras. Does this mean that the whole process from camera selection through to print or slide production has value? It does for me. The whole tactile experience provides satisfaction. Any other's thoughts?

Tags
620, brownie, kodak
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies