Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Chemical formulae

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th April 2015, 04:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Now that it has been found and that's good news, can anyone who has used it give his experience. Speedibrews claims high acutance and a two stop increase in speed and Process Supplies in its details seem to have simply replicated the quote.

I am curious about the claim of a two stop increase which seems to make it the most speed increasing developer I have ever seen.

Does it really increase film speed to that extent and if it does what "price" is there to be paid?

Thanks

Mike
Cellar Stellar was developed by Michael for Astrophotography and, as such, this should be kept in mind when reading claims for it.

I used it on a specific project in 1983 where I wanted to use Pan F in a Leica in Brazil and Chile so that I could match these images (print size / grain) with others taken with a Hasselblad using FP4.

My usual ISO for Pan F was 25. On this project, Cellar Stellar gave me ISO 80 with full shadow detail, fine grain and no excessive contrast despite the intense sunlight.

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de
http://dsallen.carpentier-galerie.de
Old 7th May 2015, 04:38 PM
Friend

I've just opened a trench in Process Supplies catacombs & found one pack of Celer Stellar, the 5 x 1 shot pack. It's pretty old - I'm actually meeting Michael Maunder next week, so I'll get his opinion as to whether it's usable.

Also one pack of Speedibrews 422, which is the 'souped-up' version for ultimate speed. Michael isn't currently manufacturing any of his products, or licensing anyone else to make them, but if this changes I'll post it here.
Old 7th May 2015, 05:58 PM
Friend

Hi Martin, you did well to find your way back out of there unaided; or did you have a guide to help?
Old 7th May 2015, 06:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
I've just opened a trench in Process Supplies catacombs & found one pack of Celer Stellar, the 5 x 1 shot pack. It's pretty old - I'm actually meeting Michael Maunder next week, so I'll get his opinion as to whether it's usable.

Also one pack of Speedibrews 422, which is the 'souped-up' version for ultimate speed. Michael isn't currently manufacturing any of his products, or licensing anyone else to make them, but if this changes I'll post it here.
Nice to hear from you Martin - what are you up to these days?

Bests,

David.
ww.dsallen.de
Old 11th May 2015, 12:54 PM
Friend

Hi David's both, sorry I haven't stopped by for a while. My only connection with the old photo industry is now through Foma materials - the film particularly seems to be ticking over nicely in the UK now.

Still involved on that front with Process Supplies, who seem to be doing fine by simply working their basic photo trade counter as they've always done.
Old 11th May 2015, 02:12 PM
Friend

Hi Martin,

nice to hear that you are 'keeping your hand in'.

I would be interested to know why Foma papers are so much more expensive over in the UK than here in Berlin. My standard paper since the demise of Kentmere FPVC has been Foma Varaiant III Glossy 50 sheets in 30 x 40cm size which is some 50€ cheaper here than in the UK.

I was always puzzled why the Foma paper appeared not to be more popular here on FADU until I noticed the price difference. Are the transport costs so much more?, is there little call for it in the UK? or has Mirko got some special deal from Foma?

Couple of other things:

I have recently bought a couple of copies of your book on using liquid emulsions and they are proving highly popular with a few of my private students.

I notice that Silverprint do not sell any archival washers anymore, do you still have any of yours lurking around?

Bests,

David.
www.dsallen.de

Last edited by dsallen; 11th May 2015 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Typos - lots of them!
Old 11th May 2015, 02:31 PM
Friend

Hi David, comments re. Foma paper price noted

The 'Silver Gelatin' book is out of print as far as the original publication goes, I've still got a limited amount on sale via Amazon UK. I think the Amazon listing excludes sales to mainland Europe, let me know if you've got anyone that wants a copy & we'll sort it out.

After that I suppose it's got to be print on demand, I don't think it will justify a long print run without producing a new edition & I'm not sure I've got the stomach for that particular fight

Yes, the SP washers were sold off & not replaced. The market for archival washers, which was never large, diminished almost to vanishing point. I would have kept the washers in the inventory as part of the overall service, but the new management took a more pragmatic approach. But remaining on the UK market at present there's still the Nova model with the integrated hypo-clear chamber, which is basically similar & also made by Novocrylics.
Old 11th May 2015, 05:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Hi David, comments re. Foma paper price noted

The 'Silver Gelatin' book is out of print as far as the original publication goes, I've still got a limited amount on sale via Amazon UK. I think the Amazon listing excludes sales to mainland Europe, let me know if you've got anyone that wants a copy & we'll sort it out.

After that I suppose it's got to be print on demand, I don't think it will justify a long print run without producing a new edition & I'm not sure I've got the stomach for that particular fight

Yes, the SP washers were sold off & not replaced. The market for archival washers, which was never large, diminished almost to vanishing point. I would have kept the washers in the inventory as part of the overall service, but the new management took a more pragmatic approach. But remaining on the UK market at present there's still the Nova model with the integrated hypo-clear chamber, which is basically similar & also made by Novocrylics.
I have a Nova 20"x24" archival washer which is frankly rather under-built for the amount of water it deals with, e.g. width of sidewalls. Was the Silverprint model a more robust unit?

Tom
Old 11th May 2015, 06:23 PM
Friend

It was beefed up a bit, and had a sliding end wall so there was a 'total dump' possible if this was lifted. There were 6 and 12 slot versions, in sizes 12x16", 16x20" and 20x24". Plus the name's inscribed & a couple of go-faster stripes. If one ends up cheap on Ebay it's probably worth grabbing.
I'll try to attach a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP-Washer.gif
Views:	241
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	2346  
Old 12th May 2015, 05:38 AM
Friend

Quote:

It will be interesting to read if his products will become available again.

He recommended Celer-Mono and 2-bath devs instead when I asked him about the CM-Pyro he used to make last time I contacted him.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies