Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th January 2020, 03:00 PM
Friend

Default Combined colour film and print developer

The last time I developed colour films and prints was in 1992.
I was using Photocolor II chemicals at the time.

For films this was,
develop, stop bath, bleach fix, wash, rinse with wetting agent.

Prints,
develop, stop bath, bleach fix, wash.

When mixing for prints the developer had an accelerator added.
There was also a professional replenisher for the print developer.

That's the introduction over.

Question.
Are any amateur kits made these days were the same bottles of chemicals are used for the film and print developing, with just the addition of the accelerator for the prints ?
It all seems to be one kit for film and another for paper.
With the Photocolor II one box did everything.

Cheers in advance.
Old 5th January 2020, 03:49 PM
Friend

Nat, when I started colour in about 2007/8 I only ever saw two separate kits with not even a hint that one kit could do everything

I have seen no signs that this has changed

Mike
Old 5th January 2020, 03:54 PM
Friend

Default Combined develpers C41/RA4

Not as far as I know. I have been developing colour negs and printing them since around 1991 and I cannot ever remember Photocolour at all. I used to use AGFA for colour neg and until recently always used Kodak for prints.

Certainly I don't know of any combined kits, not now anyway. The available colour chemicals are made by Fuji, Kodak, Tetenal, and 2 generic version made by Rollie (Sold as Digibase) and is film only and another sold under the name of ADOX which seems to be print only but in all cases they are different for film and colour print.

Last edited by John King; 5th January 2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 5th January 2020, 04:59 PM
Friend

Default Memory Jogger.

Two pictures of the first pages of the instructions.
I believe the Photocolor II was an improved version.
The instruction leaflet was a foldout eight page affair.
Very detailed, but easily understood instructions.
Information on using in dishes, Jobo Rotaries. filter colour casts and suggested filter corrections. And trouble shooting.
Capacities and film developing from 35-39c.
Papers from 28-38c.

Looking at the available instructions online for modern kits, it seems to be what can we get away with as the bare minimum of instructions to give out.

Looking back at a few prints they seem to me to have survived the last 28 years in a good condition.
I have not looked at the negatives yet.

Talking of longevity, does anyone besides me remember looking at friends and relatives "Professionally" made photo albums?
Beautiful photos of aunts and uncles at the weddings, every print in the album gone a horrible orange or sickly bluey green colour, all within two years of printing. That put me off colour printing for years.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2813 (1).JPG
Views:	324
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	3589

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2814 (1).JPG
Views:	383
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	3590
Old 5th January 2020, 05:49 PM
Friend

Hi, there. If I'm understanding correctly the question print and film developers are definetely different and not interchangeable. That is unless you deliberately want the colors to go "weird"...In regard to bleach-fixers I believe they might be somewhat compatible but I don't know for sure.

Cheers, M.
Old 5th January 2020, 06:53 PM
Friend

Hello Marty

Perhaps I shouldn't have gone off about old wedding photos done by professionals. I may have muddied the waters a bit.

If you twist your neck and read the first pages of the instructions you will see it is the same chemicals for prints and negatives. The only difference is the addition of accelerator for prints.

The two photos of the instruction sheet are from the earlier chemical set and the Photocolor II from a later version of the kit.
Sorry the photos came out like that.
The beauty of the kit was a small user such as myself would use the complete kit up and not throw away half of it as stale chemicals.

Looking at the logo over the letter O in Photocolor it looks like the old Johnsons Logo.

So it could have been made by Johnsons.

The one kit for films and prints contained,
1 colour developer concentrate
1 bleach fix concentrate
1 print accelorator
Old 5th January 2020, 07:42 PM
Friend

I remember seeing the FP - Film and Paper - kit but never used it, I started Photocolour II C41 processing when Agfa Vario XL was released but quickly switched to Ilford XP1 when that appeared.

Photocolor II could also be used for EP-2 paper by using an additive, but that wasn't compatible with RA-4.

Ian
Old 5th January 2020, 08:54 PM
Friend

Default Advert Link for Photoclor II

https://photomemorabilia.co.uk/Photo...ocolor_II.html

Link to Amature Photographer Advert.
Old 5th January 2020, 08:59 PM
Friend

https://photomemorabilia.co.uk/Photo...ology_Ltd.html

A link to the history of Photocolor

Lostlabours is correct as to what could be developed with each of the two products.

From 1982-92 I used Photocolor II With Kodak Ektacolor 78 RC paper. Kodak recommended Ektaprint 2 chemicals.

Also I was correct about the Johnsons Logo.

An interesting read on the link if you are into photography history, as I am.

Cheers.
Old 5th January 2020, 09:50 PM
Friend

Default The clue is in the writing

There are two printed sets of instructions. One set of instructions for Photocolour being used for both colour neg and printing photographs mentions that it is for C41 film and EP2 paper. The top of the sheets appear to refer to two separate but possibly linked processes. One being Photocolour the other Photocolour 2.

The paper that is sold now is the RA4 process. I have heard about EP2 but know very little about it but I assume it was the forerunner to RA4. With EP2 you may very well have been able to process both with one set of dev and fix, but no longer! As I understand it the current blix baths are completely incompatible with anything else but RA4 paper. (Unless anyone else knows otherwise.)

Last edited by John King; 5th January 2020 at 09:58 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies