Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd September 2021, 09:29 PM
Friend

Default Nova 10x8 print processor-easy to move?

Circumstances mean I'm going to have to have a temporary darkroom for a while and I'm planning on getting a three or four slot Nova processor to save space. It would be kept in a cupboard with the chemicals still inside and lifted onto a work surface when printing.

My question is, is it safe and easy enough to lift a full 10x8 processor or might this be too much for it to withstand? Any Nova users able to advise?
Old 23rd September 2021, 10:14 PM
Friend

Hi Brock, I have a 20x16" Nova Trimate and it lives permanently on an old enlarger baseboard. This allows me to move it, if needs be, and that's not very often. I wouldn't like to try and shift it full or empty of chemicals except for the water jackets, without a support base. They are wonderful things but also quite fragile to be moved around, unlike trays.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th September 2021, 07:15 AM
Friend

A 10x8 processor will be ok to move so long as it is on a baseboard as Marty NL suggests by putting it on a moveable baseboard. Drain off the chemicals into storage bottles will reduce the weight and eliminate the risk of any spills - 'cos they will happen.

My 12x16 Trimate is on a piece of melamine faced chip board to which I have fitted removable handles for the precise reason of being able to move it when I need to.
Old 24th September 2021, 08:01 AM
Friend

That seems to be the answer then. I might use an old serving tray or something similar. 👍🏻
Old 24th September 2021, 09:01 AM
Friend

I find that 3 lengths of flexible plastic tubing (aquariums, home-brew, etc) are a useful addition to a Nova. You connect them to the drain taps to make emptying the chemicals a bit easier. I think the 8mm size fits over the taps, but best to check if you are going to do this. I got mine from B&Q.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 24th September 2021, 12:42 PM
Friend

Howevr, I understand that all the fluid spaces or none should be filled or empty!
Old 24th September 2021, 01:11 PM
Friend

As long as the person can safely lift the Nova on a baseboard then you can do so. I'd be happy to slide a baseboard along but would not be confident of lift the Nova on a baseboard without substantial handles and even then I'd only be happy if I could fit it into the cupboard straight and level.

Full of water and each slot full of chemicals holding it straight and level even with a baseboard equipped with handles would present too much of a risk for me with my 8x10 Nova but as our U.S. friends say, YMMV

Mike
Mike
Old 24th September 2021, 06:21 PM
Friend

The Nova instruction pamphlet says on page 4.

IMPORTANT. under no circumstances must the processor be physically moved whilst the slots are filled with chemicals, always drain the slots firstly. Otherwise contamination or structural damage may result.

I have mine on a basic stand that I made from the neighbours recycled table top.
I wanted the taps raising to facilitate easy emptying of the chemicals.
As it is on a solid base I happily move the full tank contrary to the manufacturers instructions.

Take care of contamination of the slots if the chemicals slosh over the top.

I shall try and scan the Nova instructions and put them in the library here at the weekend.

At the end of the day you decide yourself if you want to take the risk.
I emphasise the solid base to stop distortion of the unit and possible failure.

Cheers.
Old 24th September 2021, 10:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcowan View Post
Howevr, I understand that all the fluid spaces or none should be filled or empty!
Not necessary if it is moved on a board. That way it is as if it were on the bench that were being moved.

You are going to have to stress it at some time when it is needed to tip it up to empty the water jackets.
Old 25th September 2021, 12:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Not necessary if it is moved on a board. That way it is as if it were on the bench that were being moved.

You are going to have to stress it at some time when it is needed to tip it up to empty the water jackets.
I empty my 12x16 Nova water jackets by siphon, so no need to tip it up.
Not that I do it often. I put into the water jacket a drop of sodium hypochlorite to prevent the water going stale or maybe growing algae.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies