Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th January 2022, 05:45 PM
Friend

Default Ilford Delta 3200 in ID11 @ 1+1 - dev times?

Okay, I went to reuse the paper roll of an Ilford Delta 3200 120 film, for paper negatives in my Holga. Unwinding it, I glimpsed the end of a roll of film, so quickly re-rolled it back up.

I don't remember using the film, but want to process it.

My go to film developer, used on mostly HP5+ film, is home mixed D76 / ID11, which I like to use @ 1+1.

Ilford's site only give times for STOCK ID11, as does Digital Truth. But I did find one large site that gave me a time, so I'm okay on trying that.

But what I'm really after is feedback from someone who has done what I will be doing, D76 / ID11 @ 1+1. And yes I know that it's 'real speed' is closer to ISO 1000, so maybe I should look at the development time for that speed, but for this film, like I said, I don't even remember using it, so definitely don't know what speed it was shot at, or even of!

I'll be developing it tomorrow afternoon, so replies need to be quick, if I am going to alter my development time, which is 12 minutes. And if you're wondering, the site is 'devitapp.org'

Many thanks,

Terry S
Old 14th January 2022, 08:40 PM
Friend

I've developed it in ID11 at 1+1 before IIRC I rated it at 1600 and developed it as if it were 3200. My notes say 12 mins at 20 degrees. I can't remember where I got the time from and I didn't write it down! I'll see if I can find the negs when I'm next in the darkroom (hopefully this weekend).
Old 14th January 2022, 09:47 PM
Friend

Like you Rob I did once use ID11 and D3200. I used ID11 as it was the developer supplied on my darkroom course but the best I can now recall was that it was OK for D3200 using no doubt the Ilford times.

I thought Ilford must know the correct times as it was their film and developer.

By and large I still tend to go to the maker's times even now on the same basis, except that in the case of D3200 I am fairly sure that with ID11 I did as you did and developed for the next speed up so the 3200 time when exposing at 1600.

Mike
Old 15th January 2022, 02:12 PM
Friend

Thanks for the reply guys.

As it's not such an important film (I hope!), for it would have been developed asap if it was, I'm going to go with the time that I found and see what comes out. This will also help me decide upon later use of the film, for having seen some great grainy prints lately, it makes me want to shoot some again, as the last time was a few years ago now.

I'll report back later today all going well.

Terry S
Old 16th January 2022, 01:12 PM
Friend

OK, so I developed the film yesterday and there are negatives...VERY dark but not unprintable negatives. It was obviously an old film, as there was a bit of fog between frames and some odd markings on a few exposures.

Hours later, whilst just getting ready for bed, I remembered more about it.

I had loaded the film into my Holga and with my terrible memory of late, when I eventually got around to shooting with it, I thought it was HP5+, so ISO 400 and not ISO 3200. I also remembered that I had shot it on the seafront, tripod mounted, with various BULB exposures, at about 2 seconds each. I had then wanted to 'stand' develop portions of the film, at about 15, 30, and 45 minutes, as a previously developed film at an hour was a bit dense.

So, the exposure was at least a couple of stops more than I thought and the dev time was obviously too long. I'll contact and try and print one or two of the negatives, and who knows, someone might get one in a Print Exchange. In the end it just means that I'll have to do the test again, but this time I think that I will tape the end of the film box on the back of the camera, to remind me of the speed, if nothing else.

In the mean time, the sun has come out, so I'm going to try and catch it in the back garden, and do various exposures with the rolled printing paper that I have attached to the Delta 3200 paper, in my Holga. At least at this moment, I know what film / paper that I am shooting!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies