Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Art and aesthetics

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd November 2012, 08:47 AM
Friend

Default disqualified!

This made me smile and will no doubt prompt huge debate across the interweb...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...oshopping.html

Exactly the same situation might have arisen if the author of the 'image' was a skilled darkroom worker and had achieved a similar effect without a computer. It is refreshing to hear about a competition where over-manipulation is frowned upon. If only the judges of FIAP and BPE 'salons' would do the same sometimes.

Les
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:00 AM
Friend

The sad part about this is the fact it was left to third parties on the internet to uncover the manipulation, the judging panel was oblivious to it.

The whole episode doesn't reflect well on that particular competition or the state of modern photography in general. The silver lining is that enough people care about it enough to make something happen.
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:03 AM
Friend

It would be very interesting to see the original un-manipulated image to compare the disqualified entry to.

Terry S
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:01 PM
Friend

I wonder if the rules of entry mentioned the limit of PS that could be used?

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 3rd November 2012, 03:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I wonder if the rules of entry mentioned the limit of PS that could be used?
The rules to the competition referring to adjustments are as follows (taken from http://www.take-a-view.co.uk/termsandconditions.htm)

Quote:
11) Digital adjustments.

Digital adjustments, including High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging techniques and the joining together of multiple frames, are allowed in all categories. However, for images entered in Classic view, Living the view and Urban view, the integrity of the subject must be maintained and the making of physical changes to the landscape is not permitted (removing fences, moving trees, stripping in sky from another image etc). The organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image that they feel lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation. The judges will allow more latitude in the ‘Your view’ category, which aims to encourage originality and conceptual thinking. Please see How to enter for further details.
I think the image therefore falls foul, whether photoshopped or in the darkroom by the bit that says,
Quote:
The organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image that they feel lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.
Terry S
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:39 PM
Friend

They should get the shortlisted people into a proper darkroom and say:
"Go on then. Show us what you can do!"
I would pay money to see that . .
On a more serious theme though, there is something so fake and just downright incorrect about a huge amount of the landscapes I see these days that I have virtually given up looking at them.
To knock them into a cocked hat, I discovered a copy of Minor White's monograph on holiday (didn't buy it . . . £100!) and I found myself moved yet again by the exquisitly crafted black and white print (albeit in book form).
Phil
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:12 PM
Friend

they are all at it. What's laughable is that the judges can't see it. Others can.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...award-stripped
Old 3rd November 2012, 09:56 PM
Friend

oh I was going to submit my photograph of a flock of elephants flying in to a field full of penguins sitting around in Dicky bows knitting.. I had to Wait 6 months to take it
Old 4th November 2012, 09:22 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by les dix View Post
If only the judges of FIAP and BPE 'salons' would do the same sometimes.
Les
Several years ago it was PS over manipulation and multiple toning effects that prompted the FIAP to redefine what is a monochrome image in there salon rules. This rendered duo toned lith work almost ineligible in the mono category. A couple of years ago I had four lith prints rejected from a salon for just this very reason, although I was given the chance to re-enter them as colour prints, I declined and had my prints returned.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 4th November 2012, 12:01 PM
Friend

Here's a link to Tim Parkin's blog http://www.timparkin.co.uk/2012/10/l...of-the-year-2/ which dissects some of the images. What I'm following with interest is, what are they going to do with all the books they have had printed?!

Arena Photographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies