Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th March 2013, 10:39 AM
Friend

Default Ebay advice please

Hi,

I have bought and sold items on eBay over the years with no problems. But they have all be low-value transactions - £20 -£50 max. I have a couple of Bowens Studio Light kits that I no longer use and want to sell. Looking at completed sales it seems there is a demand and that prices are in the region of £250 - £500. Given the bulk and weight of the items they would be sold on a "Collection-ony" basis. Someone has said, quite emphatically, to me that I should only accept a cash on collection arrangement rather than Paypal as I could be "scammed" by someone paying by Paypal, collecting the item then claiming they haven't got the item and making a paypal "chargeback". I'm not 100% sure of the value of this particular person view so I wanted to check on knowledge and experience here. I would have thought cash or paypal was equally OK if I get them to sign a receipt in either case? I would appreciate people's views based on their experience. Many thanks.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:10 PM
Friend

I think your point about a signed reciept is OK, but I'd also want to demonstrate to the sellers satisfaction that the items work.

So I'd get the buyer to sign to say he's collected and paid for the items and that the are as described and in good working order.

I've bought items for more than that using Paypal but it's important to check buyer/sellers feedback as well.

Ian
Old 5th March 2013, 01:58 PM
Friend

Try to sell here first, then try eBay. If things are for collection only clearly state this and clearly state your location. Print out a receipt for the items and include the fact they have been shown to be in working order and the buyer is satisfied and get the buyer to sign this with their full name and address, Or if a buy it now item give a discount for cash to purchaser, (put the bin price up by the amount of the discount!

nn
Old 5th March 2013, 02:13 PM
Friend

I have heard stories about where a buyer pays by PAYPAL, collects the goods, then immediately cancels the PAYPAL payment. Apparently if the timing is right you could end up without a payment.

The only way round this would be to only let the goods go (if using PAYPAL) after you see from your PAYPAL account that they have actually closed the payment as secured.

I suspect this is the scam your friend was talking about.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 5th March 2013, 04:03 PM
Friend

Keith
What exactly are you selling, and how much?
Richard
Old 5th March 2013, 04:30 PM
Friend

Cash... unless you know the buyer personally.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:32 PM
Friend

Hi Richard. It's two Bowen Esprit kits - A 500 and a 250 kit. 2 heads in each with bag, stands, brollies, soft box and shades. There is also an assortment of dishes, snoots and reflectors which I am going to throw in as well. If you interested drop me a PM.
Old 5th March 2013, 08:33 PM
Friend

Thank you all for your responses. Cash does seem the safest option.

Best wishes
Old 6th March 2013, 10:21 PM
Friend

Default Ebay: My experiences

Hi Keith,

Here are some numbers for you. In the past three years I have used ebay 400 times. Probably less than half relating to photography with the rest being of my other interests. One in a hundred turned out to be rogues. I left them pretty damming feedback and reported them to ebay and got my money back. Reason being items not as described: basic dishonesty. On a few other occasions I have pointed out to the seller the faults without involving ebay and got a refund. You are protected by distance selling regulations and ebay are good and fair, but may be I have been lucky? Most sellers are honest, others don't have a clue on what they are selling and we have to take account of this.

Paypal work very closely with ebay and it is reasonable to think that Paypal are paying ebay a commission by using them out of the fees they get from the seller. Not much on an individual transaction but a vast amount if we take into account worldwide operations. There is another way to pay by using the BACS system where my bank a/c pays your bank a/c via home computer. The seller saves money by not paying fees and is an obsession with someone I buy from. For local items, I like to collect and pay cash then and there, but I am reliant on the seller to cancel his invoice and send a fresh revised one.
If they don't, you are bombarded with emails, once or twice a day saying you have not paid for you item. An example being a projector screen from two villages away so I saved £15 delivery charges, but annoyingly spent a whole night on my computer trying to contact ebay to tell then that I had paid and got my stuff. Not an easy task and I hate computers and find them tiresome.

Hopefully this info will be of use to you. I have not had a problem with Paypal. (Yet?)
Old 7th March 2013, 11:14 AM
Friend

Perhaps I've been unlucky but I've had nothing but pain from using ebay and PayPal (ebay own PayPal BTW). I now either sell privately or use Gumtree where they encourage the buyer and seller to meet and complete the transaction.

Arena Photographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies