Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd May 2021, 05:10 PM
Friend

Default Photography Cornucopia?- BBC4 Monday 24th May

I have attached a ? because it may not turn out as interesting as it seems but the following programmes are on BBC4 this coming Monday evening:

9:00pm Great British Photography Challenge

Seemingly a new series. Rankin challenges 6 amateurs to take pictures in various different situations with what appears to be a variety of cameras.

10:00 Mark Lawson talks to David Bailey

11:00 Britain in Focus: This is a repeat where A Eamonn McCabe charts the history of photography

12:00 What Do Artists Do All Day? Profile of photographer Dennis Morris who looks back on his photography of the Punk scene and London's black community

It would appear that only the Rankin Challenge is repeated on both the early hours of Tuesday at 2:30 -3:30am and on Wednesday at 11:00pm as well

Mike
Old 23rd May 2021, 11:46 AM
Friend

Thanks for the prompt Mike.

I think I've seen them all before, but with so little on the telly about photography, I'll tape them and watch them again over a few days with breakfast and a cuppa.

It's just a bit strange that they put so much on together in one go, rather than spread it out and make it look like they're showing more.

Anyway, some is better than none.

Terry S
Old 24th May 2021, 08:16 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
It's just a bit strange that they put so much on together in one go, rather than spread it out and make it look like they're showing more.

Anyway, some is better than none.

Terry S
The BBC seem to like to have 'an evening of' type scheduling.
Old 24th May 2021, 09:37 AM
Friend

Cheers for the heads up Mike. I think I have only seen the Eamonn McCabe programme so the others may prove interesting.
Old 24th May 2021, 09:53 AM
Friend

There's a series of "What do artists do all day" programmes....the one i remember most was Albert Watson.

Mike
Old 24th May 2021, 10:40 AM
Friend

Interestingly I heard part of an interview with what appears to be one of the participants in tonight's Rankin Challenge. As this was Radio Northampton I assume that the person is based in this location.

So why am I telling you this? Well I think I am introducing a depressing aspect in that I have no direct evidence as yet but given this person started photography 10 years ago and inhabits Instagram and Flickr I strongly suspect he is 100% digital as I depressingly assume all the rest of the participants will be but we shall see.

I remain sceptical of the real size in the revival of film photography that some pundits are heralding with a fanfare of trumpets and long to see somebody on such programmes who at least occasionally uses film or mentions wanting to dip his toes in film water or even be curious about it. At that point I may just begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Mike - in Monday morning mood
Old 24th May 2021, 11:49 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpirie View Post
There's a series of "What do artists do all day" programmes....the one i remember most was Albert Watson.

Mike
Yes, the series has been on and off for a good while, if not years, as I have recorded various episodes usually broadcast in the early hours of the morning.

Not all are about photography, but I have enjoyed the majority of them very much and I too remember the Albert Watson episode, where he took to setting off some form of fireworks to photograph close ups of trees through the smoke...?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I strongly suspect he is 100% digital as I depressingly assume all the rest of the participants will be but we shall see.
Even though I've seen it before (the info on my tv guide says that it's series one, episode one) I shall be recording it to watch. And yes, you are quite right Mike, it is TOTALLY digital...

Terry S
Old 24th May 2021, 01:49 PM
Friend

Thanks, Terry and so much for the word "New" in front of the word "Series" in the Radio Times

Mike
Old 25th May 2021, 09:23 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
The BBC seem to like to have 'an evening of' type scheduling.
Cheap programming option.
Remember that BBC4 is gearing up to be the 'Archive' channel. No new productions, just old stuff, great loss.

This one might be 'new' however; it is still a compilation of existing material though.
On Camera: Photographers at the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jgr3w
Old 25th May 2021, 11:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_H View Post
This one might be 'new' however; it is still a compilation of existing material though.
On Camera: Photographers at the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08jgr3w
This is another one to set your recorders for:

Thu 3 Jun 2021 23:10
BBC Four

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies