Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd July 2010, 06:17 PM
Friend

Default Rodenstock Caltar 2-N 150mm f5.6

I have been determined not to get in to Large format.
Ruthless even.
Determined.
It will never happen, no way.
No matter how interesting it seems I will not do this.

Somehow I accidentally sort of bid on this Rodenstock lens.
Well the picture was nice and it looked sparkly.Then it became a matter of principle.

So now I have a 4x5 lens, a Yankee dev tank, and a box of delta100 film.
Unfortunately rather like between my ears, I have nothing between the film and the lens.

So whilst i still consider myself a man of firm resolve may, I have the advice of those gathered on this forum as to the quality of this lens that of course I will never use because I will not buy a 4x5 camera
and whether a Chamonix 4x5 is exactly the camera I should not buy even though it seems the coolest thing ever to me right now.

By the way. If anyone suggests that I give them the lens the answer is no.

James
Old 29th July 2010, 11:33 PM
Friend

Welcome to the dark side

There is only one way from here - its down hill all the way.

If you are not very careful, the siren calls of 10x8 and ULF may catch you unawares

Not sure what sort of photography you are interested in but Mike Walker does a nice range of cameras as sensible prices - http://www.walkercameras.com/cameras.html

Those who own one seem very happy with them.

With LF its very much horses for courses, decide on the sort of photography you like, the focal lengths you enjoy shooting (which can be very different from those in smaller formats) and the list of alternative camera which meets your requirements becomes manageably small.

Many people go for something cheap and cheerful (second hand?) for their first LF, find their feet and then buy a better camera more suited to their needs.

Good luck

Martin
Old 30th July 2010, 06:37 AM
Friend

Probably one of the cheapest 5x4 is a MPP (the British Linhof).
It's heavy but works well and can be had without a lens for about 100 with a bit of luck. I know, I've got one.
Old 30th July 2010, 07:40 AM
Friend

I am going the other way and disposing of my large bits as the format doesn't suit my way of working, despite its virtues.
Before trying the *bay I shall possibly compile a list and post in this place.

Paul
Old 30th July 2010, 07:51 AM
Friend

Your 150mm lens will be great. as far as 150mm 5.6 plasmat lenses go, it will be as good as all the rest, which is very good indeed.

Camerawise there is a lot of hype around at the minute about the chamonix, but don't forget a lot of that is just because they are new on the scene, and although I[m sure they're great there's still loads of good options around in the sub-ebony pricerange that don't generate the same level of internet excitement cos they've been around a while. Like someone said above MPPs, old wistas, tachihara/calumet/osaka, graphics, old sinar/horseman/toyo monorails, Shen Hao's various models, even DIY box cameras can bring home the goods no problem. Any camera is just an elaborate box anyway.

Don't forget you'll need some filmholders too.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:04 AM
Friend

Having seen Jon Butler's Chamonix at close quarters I must say that I was impressed enough to want one myself. That said DaveP's comments are valid, there are many 5x4 cameras on the market that will do the job, and all will have their advocates.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:45 AM
Friend

What has struck me is that second hand LF cameras tend to hold their value. Once you get past the premium of buying new, you'll probably be able to sell anything you buy for more or less what you paid for it. Why not look out for something that won't break the bank and see how you get on. If you take to LF, then you can always trade up when funds allow. If you don't you won't have too much trouble selling what you've bought.

As was said in an earlier post, beware of the lure of yet larger formats. I've just succumbed and bought a 5x7 Sinar Norma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1265.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	792  
Old 30th July 2010, 09:14 AM
Friend

Did I mention that I have found a spare 10x8 in the GAS cupboard?
Old 30th July 2010, 09:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Did I mention that I have found a spare 10x8 in the GAS cupboard?
Home to a family of large format spiders?
Old 30th July 2010, 07:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
What has struck me is that second hand LF cameras tend to hold their value. Once you get past the premium of buying new, you'll probably be able to sell anything you buy for more or less what you paid for it. Why not look out for something that won't break the bank and see how you get on. If you take to LF, then you can always trade up when funds allow. If you don't you won't have too much trouble selling what you've bought.

As was said in an earlier post, beware of the lure of yet larger formats. I've just succumbed and bought a 5x7 Sinar Norma.
The Sinar norma is a fantastic bit of kit, biult by Swiss watchmakers it is an engineered camera, a joy to behold and a work of art in its own rite, can be used as 4x5 5x7 and 10x8 with suitable rear standard and bellows and will not break the bank. My kit in the made to measure box less an 18 inch rail with 150 lens, 6 DDS and roll film back cost me all of 460 from a dealer. Am I biased of course I am.
Paul.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   Keyphoto   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   RK Photo   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies   Silverprint Ltd