Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th February 2020, 05:02 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRaynsfor View Post
Thank you for the suggestions you have kindly made and I am working my way through them.By coincidence I needed to buy more darkroom chemicals today and noticed in the window of the shop,unloved and dusty,a Peak Enlarging Focuser ( I believe it’s a Mk 1).We agreed a price and I quickly hurried home hoping this could be the answer to my focusing problems.I have tried using the instructions posted by Richard some time ago.Whilst I have had some success on focusing Ilford HP5,indeed the image does clearly appear through the Peak eyepiece,using Ilford FP4 the image is very faint.I wonder if I am using the focuser correctly or is it a case of fine grain v medium grain film. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Have you focused your Peak correctly.

I resorted to a Peak after moving up to LF - where the grain just disappears.

You need to focus the Peak for your own eye sight.

Also - try moving the whole device as well as the eye piece to look at different parts of the neg.

Martin
Old 12th February 2020, 05:04 PM
Friend

I use an old car fan belt over the focus knob if I'm making big enlargements. Works well. I'll post a picture (when I remember where I put it - I've not made big pictures for a while).
Old 12th February 2020, 06:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post

You need to focus the Peak for your own eye sight.

Martin
If you have not noticed it Barry, the viewing lens at the top of the device will rotate to focus to your own eyesight with or without glasses.

Also if you have the type with the long mirror make sure the retaining springs underneath are in close firm contact with the back of the mirror as this is only held in place by the pressure of the springs and if they loosen off, the focussing will not be accurate.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies