Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th February 2019, 12:59 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post

However I found that if you use the Patterson and want to check the edges and corners, once you establish the centre focus, move the Patterson to the edge or corner and tilt the body to view the image and this will show if the edges are the same (or close to it) as the centre. Of course stopping down from full aperture to say F8 will (should) bring the focus into the full frame.

This is interesting, John. I had no idea that tilting the finder made it work to the edges. I'll give this a go. I was unsure of what you mean by the second sentence. Could you expand on this? Its the use of full frame that is puzzling me.

Thanks

Mike
Old 15th February 2019, 01:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
This is interesting, John. I had no idea that tilting the finder made it work to the edges. I'll give this a go. I was unsure of what you mean by the second sentence. Could you expand on this? Its the use of full frame that is puzzling me.

Thanks

Mike
Same for me on both points John, but again thanks for letting some of us know about such a little but great tweak to our focus finders.

Terry S
Old 15th February 2019, 01:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRaynsfor View Post
Have not done any darkroom work for some while and I’m now struggling even wearing glasses to obtain sharp focus from my negatives. I have tried using my Kaiser and Patterson focus finders but find it extremely difficult to look through the finder to identify the film grain whilst at the same time reaching up to adjusting the enlarger ! I usually use Ilford FP4 or HP5 film. Can anyone suggest a method or a product which may help with this problem.Many thanks.
Barry, it sounds like the enlarger head is getting too high to reach while focusing...is that what you mean? If so, and none of the taller focus finders suit the task, then another option is to get a wider-angle lens that still covers the format you are using. This will bring the whole affair closer to the baseboard and should be easier to reach.

OTOH, if it's the bending over in an awkward position that's the problem, consider building a sturdy base for the whole enlarger to sit on to bring the baseboard higher up, or fix it with a wall mount of some sort. Should be much more comfortable working this way, provided you have the ceiling clearance in the darkroom to do this.
Old 15th February 2019, 04:16 PM
Friend

Just for a bit of humour. I suddenly pictured a scene whereby I "employ" my still quite small grand-daughter to use the Minor finder. I work the focus knob and she shouts out the orders as to what I need to do with it.

For those old enough and U.K. based it would be a bit like the radio programme "The Navy Lark" where Lesley Philips says to the helmsman in that superb laid back upper class accent "left a bit, down a bit " etc

Mike
Old 15th February 2019, 04:17 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have had the same problem exacerbated by a gammy shoulder and asked fellow FADUers for suggestions to overcome this and received several replies. To my shame I haven't got round to try any of them and am still struggling....but I will do.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...archid=3273636

Mike
Old 15th February 2019, 05:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
For those old enough and U.K. based it would be a bit like the radio programme "The Navy Lark" where Lesley Philips says to the helmsman in that superb laid back upper class accent "left a bit, down a bit " etc
Wednesday evenings, Radio 4Xtra, 7.00pm. Brilliant.
Old 15th February 2019, 06:00 PM
Friend

Default Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

Thanks

Mike
What I was indicating was if you focus on F2.8 the edges will be sharp but if the lens is less than perfect the depth of field at F8 will cover or improve these imperfections.
Old 15th February 2019, 06:20 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Wednesday evenings, Radio 4Xtra, 7.00pm. Brilliant.
On the BBC website now:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00...pisodes/player

Will have a listen later...
Old 15th February 2019, 06:48 PM
Friend

Hello and many thanks for all the replies trying to help with this problem. I have just tried using a smaller focal length enlarging lens ( 80mm instead of my 100mm lens on 6x7 negative on Ilford FP4) and this has certainly helped by lowering the height of the enlarger head.Using my Paterson Minor I am still struggling ! Should I be able to see the actual image or I am correct in saying you should be able to see the film grain. Next I am going to mark a dense negative to see if this helps.Will let you know the outcome.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:21 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRaynsfor View Post
Hello and many thanks for all the replies trying to help with this problem. I have just tried using a smaller focal length enlarging lens ( 80mm instead of my 100mm lens on 6x7 negative on Ilford FP4) and this has certainly helped by lowering the height of the enlarger head.Using my Paterson Minor I am still struggling ! Should I be able to see the actual image or I am correct in saying you should be able to see the film grain. Next I am going to mark a dense negative to see if this helps.Will let you know the outcome.
You may well be able to see the image, but should be looking for the 'sometimes' subtle focusing of the 'grain.' So far as I know in my limited experience
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies