Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 27th January 2020, 11:49 AM
Friend

Default Low-cost safelighting

I have bought and tested some red LED 'golfball' bulbs, about 45mm dia with ES caps. They cost £2.50 each and they are genuinely safe for 10mins at 2m. I even considered putting one in a desk lamp over the dev dish but it would have needed an adapter that I didn't have - I've not seen them with a bayonet cap.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
I even considered putting one in a desk lamp over the dev dish but it would have needed an adapter that I didn't have - I've not seen them with a bayonet cap.
I've never seen them with a bayonet mount yet either Jo, but a bit of digging on ebay, and one has to tick the box for B22 (bayonet) fit.

Surprisingly there are no China or HK sellers, so the cheapest seller is in the UK, at £3.99, incl. p/p, BUT, they don't have stock of red at the moment!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1W-B22-mi...IsgFiv7f6OwO2w

The next cheapest is £4.95, incl. p/p:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colored-L...AL-s-gBVuMqSeQ

But I bought a similar screw bulb to you, (at 99p incl. p/p from China!) and it needed an adapter, but that turned out to only cost a few quid on ebay.

Terry S
Old 27th January 2020, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Colored-L...AL-s-gBVuMqSeQ

But I bought a similar screw bulb to you, (at 99p incl. p/p from China!) and it needed an adapter, but that turned out to only cost a few quid on ebay.

Terry S
Thanks for your input, Terry. I bought mine at a corner shop here in France which was selling them as leftovers from their Christmas stock of display and decoration products, along with cake, biscuits and candles.
Old 11th February 2020, 03:56 PM
Friend

Lidle super market at this moment are selling a light bulb that can be all the colours of the rainbow it has a remote control to dim the light or change the colour or to switch it on or off. Sounds promising for a safe light when in RED mode. £5 . I will try and pick one up and try it as a safelight for B&W, having a remote control is a great feature. The Lidle bulbs are screw fitting but Ebay has a massive variety of rgb bulbs for sale.
Old 11th February 2020, 07:59 PM
Friend

Tested the Lidl RGB multi coloured bulb switched to RED on full brightness 1.5m from my easel. Exposed Ilford mg1v for 10 mins, absolutely no fogging of my paper. The bulb is LED 7w thats 60w old school bulb wattage. The ability to switch the bulb from red to white by remote control or on/off is a good feature to have.
Old 11th February 2020, 08:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Tested the Lidl RGB multi coloured bulb switched to RED on full brightness 1.5m from my easel. Exposed Ilford mg1v for 10 mins, absolutely no fogging of my paper. The bulb is LED 7w thats 60w old school bulb wattage. The ability to switch the bulb from red to white by remote control or on/off is a good feature to have.

Interesting, I wonder how long the bulb will last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th February 2020, 08:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
If the genuine brightness is the equivalent of a 60W incandescent red safelight bulb that is quite amazing as is a no fogging period of 10 mins.

Currently I have a 25W clear bulb in an Ilford 902 safelight and the light is quite good but an open 60W red incandescent in my darkroom would would be incredibly bright

It's certainly tempting

Mike
Old 11th February 2020, 08:59 PM
Administrator

The 7W will refer to all LEDS on - the bulb will be either 3 LEDs (Red, Green + Blue) or 4 (RGB + white). The red will likely be 1 or 2W. Still plenty of light in a small darkroom.

LEDs should last a very long time - it tends to be the power supply that goes first in LED bulbs or poor design/cost-cutting leading to overheating.

Last edited by Bob; 11th February 2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11th February 2020, 10:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The 7W will refer to all LEDS on - the bulb will be either 3 LEDs (Red, Green + Blue) or 4 (RGB + white). The red will likely be 1 or 2W. Still plenty of light.
Yes the red led light appears a little brighter than my old Paterson safe light.

Last edited by Bob; 12th February 2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:18 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=GoodOldNorm;130787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
The red will likely be 1 or 2W. Still plenty of light. Yes the red led light appears a little brighter than my old Paterson safe light.
Thanks for the clarification, both. At 1 or 2W it puts things into perspective. At only a little brighter than a 5W/15W( not sure which is the equivalent re: the Paterson) Paterson safelight I suspect that 25 W clear in a 902 Ilford may not be an improvement over my current light intensity

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies