Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th February 2020, 03:40 PM
Friend

As the thread is about cleaning solution I think I can piggyback my issue onto it.

I have a white rubber hose that I lead from the tap to the Nova washer slot. The hose was looking a bit stained/dirty so I have submerged it into dilute bleach and it has done a great job except for one brown stain that is particularly stubborn. I am pretty certain that the stain is developer so in addition to the bleach, I sprayed it last night with Nova TarBuster but it has made almost no difference to the slight lessening of the stain already achieved from dilute bleach

All I can think of is dunking the affected part in much stronger bleach and wait and see what happens.

However if anyone has a better idea then please let me know. As the hose is rubber it may have soaked into the rubber too deeply to remove but as I have said the stain is less but it has taken a couple of days already to even lighten the brown slightly

Thanks

Mike
Old 9th February 2020, 05:33 PM
Friend

Default Stubborn stains

I have a C41 developer stain on the kitchen floor which is the usual cushion flooring. It was on there for no more than15 mins before I noticed the mark and wiped it up. Fortunately the flooring is charcoal grey so it doesn't show too badly because nothing I have tried will even make it fade.

Of the two strongest I have used Kodak stop bath which is exceptionally concentrated with acetic acid base (1-63) and neat Domestos. Bother were left on the site overnight but no joy. It is I am afraid a permanent scar.
Old 9th February 2020, 07:10 PM
Friend

Thanks John. I have now got the tip of the hose where it is stained in a narrow 45ml graduate with a bleach that is about 1:1

If that doesn't shift it or shows major signs of beginning to remove it by tomorrow then that only leaves cutting a couple of inches of hose from the nozzle end and refitting the nozzle

In fact that would be the quick and easy solution but I hesitate to do that because I have no idea how the nozzle is fixed to the tube and whether if I can remove it successfully I can re-attach it to the hose so there is no leakage

Mike
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:39 PM
Friend

Thank you folks.
Two days in water and washing up liquid.
Then about four days in bleach and water.
Cleaned the dishes and a few polythene measuring beakers.
Even took the old indelible pen writing off the beakers.

Excellent. Many thanks.
Old 24th February 2020, 08:19 AM
Friend

I have used Steradent for paterson spirals which works well soaking overnight in a strong solution, possibly work for plastic dishes too.
Old 24th February 2020, 10:27 AM
Friend

Just for info: I had to cut the stained bit of my white hose out but it was simple to re-attach the nozzle to the remaining hose. I suspect that almost undiluted bleach would have worked after maybe weeks

Clearly white rubber that has lain under a slightly leaking Nova developer slot nozzle for a while may be a stain too far

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies