Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th July 2020, 03:50 PM
Friend

Richard, what is the nearest relation to the original Rodinal that you know of?
Old 29th July 2020, 03:52 PM
Friend

Default Puzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
The only other comment on print size and 35mm lenses I would make is that with D3200 in 135 the grain can begin to show and detract from what I think of as sharpness at about 8x10. In that particular film and having used it in 120 as well on a P645N with what I think of as a near equivalent Pentax lens to what I had in my Pentax 35mm SLR, the difference appears at a much small size than 12 x16.
I never tried to print with a 135 D3200 neg not with a 120 either to be honest but I strongly suspect that in my case a 12x 16 print would be just too much for D3200 in 135 in terms of the look I'd want

Yes the very same Les, John

Mike
Mike you have lost me what is the D3200 you are referring to.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Richard, what is the nearest relation to the original Rodinal that you know of?
There are 3 thast are vso close as to almost identical, RO9/one shot, that I use, I get it from Firstcall as it is a little cheaper, and I like the new softpak that makes it easier to exclude air, then there is the Foma RO9, and these are the 2 that seems to be the most widely available, and then ther is the Adox Adonal/Rodinal, that claims to be exactly the same formula that Adox used in their last version, and I have heard very good things about the Tetenal Paranol, and as I believe, but don't quote me, Tetenal make the 3 versions of Rodinal, it should be very good, I have never had problems with RO9/one shot, and I think that the D3200 Mike is talking anout is Delta 3200
Richard

Last edited by Richard Gould; 29th July 2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 29th July 2020, 06:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Mike you have lost me what is the D3200 you are referring to.
The fast Ilford film, Delta 3200, John. Much better in terms of grain in 120 which in the 135 film tends to get obtrusive beyond 8 x 10

Mike
Old 29th July 2020, 06:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I tend to find in B&W that images with a visible, but uniform grain appear sharper than those with no obvious grain. I have always felt that colour photographs, generally of small size, seldom appear as sharp as an equivalent B&W print. Introducing some visible grain may alter that perception, as it does for me in B&W. I can’t offer any scientific evidence, but that is the way I see things.
Alex.
Barry Thornton did a whole chapter on this in his excellent book Edge of Darkness. He describes doing a test with, if I recall, FP4 vs. Techpan -- same scene/camera/lens/tripod, etc.. He asked members of his photo club to view (at normal distance) and choose the sharper print. All chose the FP4 image, despite it having higher grain. I can't recall the developers used for the films. If you have this book, the chapter is well worth a read.

My own prints bear this out too -- I have four 16x20 and 20x20 prints on the wall beside each other; one with 135 FP4 in ID11; two with 120 TMY-2 in D76; and one 135 TMX in D76. At about one metre distance the 135 FP4 (traditional grain) looks just as detailed and a bit crisper than the rest (all Kodak t-grain). Someone who didn't know the cameras and format would be hard pressed to pick the 135 FP4 image as being small format.

Tonality is another matter, however. I find the 120 images have deeper, smoother tones. I think this is something not to be ignored in choice of format. Some time ago I read a quote by a well known photographer, who said that sharpness and grain are apparent with your nose pressed to the glass but tonality hits you from across the room. Hard to argue with that

Based on my own experiences above, I have pretty much stopped using Tmax films. I haven't decided yet if the Delta films are a good compromise between traditional grain and Tmax -- I need to shoot more with them and then do some larger prints.

So John, you are not imagining things! Your perception is right on

Last edited by Svend; 29th July 2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:18 AM
Friend

Mentioned by Svend above

Techpan or to give it it's full title Kodak Technical Pan. I used quite a bit of it in the 80's until it went out of production. Contrasty as hell but reduce the ISO to 20 and altering the developing time, it worked quite well with ID11. The exposure latitude was about the same as colour transparency film or possibly less, but a really nice film to use.

I wish they would bring it back as well as their High speed Infra Red.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies