Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th January 2020, 07:03 AM
Friend

Default Help please with Durst Modular 70

Could a user of the above enlarger help please.I have recently got this enlarger complete with Modular 70 Vario and Modular 70 Colour. My questions are

Can the lamp only be switched on using the main power switch,unless of course you have a timer between the power source and enlarger ?

If you would like to enlarge 6x7 negatives,apart from the correct lens and negative masks would you still need Vegacon condenser ? I ask this as the 2 light boxes appear to be built in to the enlarger head.Perhaps a user could clarify.

Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you.
Old 9th January 2020, 07:55 AM
Friend

I have Durst but not this model but I will be as helpful as I can.
First of all, with almost all enlargers, if you plug them directly into the power source the lamp will go on. There is no on/off switches on the enlargers, with the exception of some transformers and stabilizers that can sit inbetween.
Secondly, both of your enlarger heads are of the diffusion light source variety and only require the diffuser boxes for their relative formats. Condensers are only necessary with B&W condenser type enlargers and each format requires the appropriate condenser.

Hope that helps.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th January 2020, 10:32 AM
Friend

Default Durst Modular 70 enlarger

Hi Marty,thank you kindly for your reply.This enlarger is fitted with a stabiliser unit and the main power switch is fitted to that. Thinking about other enlargers I have had with this arrangement they have usually had a secondary switch to turn on the lamp. Also thanks for reminding me about the different kind of light sources and their need for condensers,I should have realised this. It seems that the negative masks for printing 6x7 negatives with this enlarger are difficult to find.Have you or other members had any success in making your own masks to fit an existing negative carrier ? I would be interested to know !
Old 9th January 2020, 11:08 AM
Friend

Do you happen to know the name of the negative masks for 6x7?
Alternatively you could use glass?

- Minor White, 1950
Old 9th January 2020, 11:38 AM
Friend

Stating the obvious here and you may have thought of this but if the power switch is not in a convenient place for switching on and off you could attach an on/off toggle type switch on the lead close to where it is convenient to use it.

My enlarger switches on and off through a timer but certainly if the power lead went straight to the mains socket where the on/off switch is, I'd want to have a more convenient switch closer to the enlarger base.

Mike
Old 9th January 2020, 12:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRaynsfor View Post
It seems that the negative masks for printing 6x7 negatives with this enlarger are difficult to find.Have you or other members had any success in making your own masks to fit an existing negative carrier ? I would be interested to know !
Hi Barry, I and many others, all with different enlargers and negative holders, have easily made new holders, to fit various sizes of negs, with a stiff card or mounting board.

Most recently I got a 35mm film panoramic camera, which produces negs just slight shorter width wise (just a few mm) than the 120 neg size, of which I have a carrier for. From stiff black card, of which I folded into two, I cut out an aperture to cover my new negative size. This is then placed inside the 6 x 6 neg holder, which when closed holds the negative tight and flat. Easy!

So if you can't find a carrier made for your enlarger in the correct size, or one isn't produced, the above is a well trusted way around the problem.

Happy printing!

Terry S
Old 9th January 2020, 01:16 PM
Friend

Hello and many thanks for the replies.I have paid a visit to my local camera shop this morning and he was able to supply me with a secondhand Phillips timer which has solved the switching problem. The negative insert for 6x7 is known as Sixma 67 and glass is Sixgla but my last search in the usual places did not uncover any. I have some card which may be suitable for an insert so I will be trying this shortly.Thanks once again for the replies.
Old 9th January 2020, 09:01 PM
Friend

Just a follow up from my earlier post.Marty did suggest using glass in place of the negative inserts.Could you please advise how you would go about this ? Would you simply have 2 pieces of glass cut to fit inside the negative carrier and would both pieces of glass have to be Anti Newton glass ? Guidance would be appreciated.
Old 10th January 2020, 12:12 AM
Friend

Only the top glass should be anti-newton and plain glass on the underside.

- Minor White, 1950
Old 10th January 2020, 09:19 PM
Friend

Hello.
I do not speak any foreign languages myself.
Non of that *pen of my aunt stuff here*, but you may be able to puzzle something from this site.
http://durst.loremi.com/

Good Luck.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies