Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2020, 06:40 PM
Friend

Default colour safelight

hi all

dose anybody have one of these ?
i think they were made by nova but i could be wrong
i don’t have a power supply
dose anybody have one and could tell me what it is
i think it was just a transformer plug type thing

best

robin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A45A207B-1D96-4994-AD21-A24DE570E675.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	3722  
Old 29th April 2020, 06:57 PM
Friend

It looks a little bit like the Nova( at least I think it was Nova) colour safelight with that pattern of five lights but if it is then I am not sure why it has all those wires attached and where do they go. I can't see enough of the wires to work this out. Does that jackplug plug it into a dc/ac adaptor that converts the mains 230v down to whatever the battery power was?

I say battery as I had always thought that the Nova lights were battery powered

Mike
Old 29th April 2020, 08:58 PM
Friend

thanks Mike

i found the adaptor

it’s a nova 5 star and it looks very much like the adjustable one that’s on a nova slot processor complete with a knob to set the brightness

i’ll do a safe test later but i’m sure it will be fine at a low setting

best

robin
Old 29th April 2020, 11:04 PM
Friend

Robin, from what you have said it looks like it will work fine now. I think it was meant as a light to find things in what is otherwise total darkness and isn't a substitute for the likes of a DUKA safelight which illuminates the whole darkroom. So it is useful to find the box of RA4 paper or the drum into which you will be placing your print or reel into which you will be loading the film then switching it off again before pulling it out or opening the 120 roll. If you hang it on a wall and switch it on, will it give out a safe light and enough to be able to see what you are doing in terms of where the trays are if trays are your method of printing? It may well be. Only trying it will tell you. What I think will be dangerous is using it in very close proximity to light sensitive paper So for instance hanging it round your neck will mean that once you have found what you are looking for it will have to be switched off before the light sensitive RA4 sheet is removed from the box

The thing I always found is that given maybe 10 or more minutes it is surprising how well the human eye can see with very low light levels indeed so hanging the light on a hook several feet away from the sensitive paper may well work but I need to say I don't know for sure

With those wires and thus mains operated it looks as if it was adapted for safe light use in the form of a DUKA RA4 safe light and was hing in one position

If you do use it as a safe light let us know how it goes

Thanks

Mike
Old 3rd May 2020, 01:32 PM
Friend

The DUKA safelight delivers remarkably high illumination while remaining 'safe' with colour paper because its emission (sodium line pair, approx 590nm) falls conveniently part-way between the green- and red-sensitive emulsion layers.
It is also 'safe' with traditional graded bromide paper but less so with Multigrade, which has some sensitivity at 590nm.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies