Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st November 2021, 06:12 PM
Friend

Default Digital Contact Sheet

I have just started to use this method now in Lightroom to make a digital contact sheet so I can see what negatives are worth making a print from in my darkroom. I scan my 35mm/6x6 negs using my Nikon Z6 in to lightroom then I convert them with Negative Lab pro, I always make a tiff copy and use these for my contact sheet.

I can then judge which ones that are worth a print without using a full sheet of my photographic paper to make a wet contact sheet, doe anybody else use this method.?
Old 1st November 2021, 06:27 PM
Friend

I've scanned my negatives for decades, it's the only way to understand what's there.

However it's years sinc I made contact sheets for my own use, clients/models yes but I can read far more from visually looking and scanning a negative.

This way I scan visually and aftera quick test strip and any grade adjustment my first test print will have beeen dodged apprpriately.

Ian
Old 1st November 2021, 06:30 PM
Friend

I only started printing about eleven years ago, but I've been making proper proofs from the outset. Aside from telling me everything I need to know about my developing, exposures and any issues I might be having with a particular camera or lens, I just love contact sheets - even if they're rubbish! I will sit and look through my folders as though I'm reading back through a diary of every time I got my camera out, whether for an occasion, a wander or an experiment.

It also means, no matter how small, I have a tangible, hold in the hand print of every photo I've ever taken.

I think I may well own every book produced commercially which centres around contact prints, too.

I may be a little obsessed with them. 🙂
Old 2nd November 2021, 05:40 PM
Friend

I have always made a contact sheet of my negs as someone else has mentioned it is the only way to get a true understanding of what may need to be done to get a good print. I also use the contact sheet to test the developer is OK in my processor if it has not been used for sometime.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies