Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2022, 07:01 PM
Friend

Default replacing NiCd with NiMh

I have taken out six old 1.2volt NiCd battery's from my fuji gx680 power pack and replaced them with six 1.2volt NIMH battery's ,on the case of the battery holder it says 7.2 volts ,but when I put my volt meter on the pack with the new battery's in (fully charged),its reading 8.32 volts ,what I am worried about is will the increase in volts damage the camera <I could not test the old NiCd battery's as they were dead .
Old 18th February 2022, 10:06 PM
Friend

Is it a power pack that was made to take alkaline batteries if required? If so the voltage would be ok, as the alkalines are over 1.5V per cell.

You can still get NiCd, including some that are of high quality for industrial purposes. Maybe safer than cooking the camera? Just guessing, sorry.
Old 18th February 2022, 10:57 PM
Friend

Default NMH Btteries

I have just had a look at an uncharged new set of Duracel NIMH rechargeable batteries and they are Designated- AA/HR6 and marked 1.2V 2400mAH(I think that means Mili Amp Hour) so on the face of it, as they have the same voltage they should be OK and a direct replacement.

I always thought NMH batteries were 1.5V so I have learned something tonight. How accurate is your voltmeter? New batteries if fully charged I have known them to register over the stated voltage anyway. Once they are used for a while they settle down a bit.

Last edited by John King; 18th February 2022 at 11:03 PM.
Old 19th February 2022, 11:59 AM
Friend

the fuji battery pack is a sealed unit and was holding 6 4/5A NiCd ,I broke open the pack and replaced them with 6 1.2v NiMh 4/5A ,giving me 8.25V .I was running the camera on 6 AA alkaline disposable batteries that are 1.5V giving me 9.61V output and that did not damage the camera ,so I feel its quite safe to run the camera on NiMh batteries . I must add that the batteries are 4/5A size that are slightly shorter than AA batts .
I think I have answered my own question .
Old 19th February 2022, 12:17 PM
Friend

It makes sense because if it is for a motor drive they can stand a lot more clout than say a diode.

The is a video on You Tube where they upped the voltage on a 00 gauge electric model railway to see how an engine stood up to the extra power. Nominally running on 12V DC they increased the voltage to 36V DC and there was no problem although the motor did get a bit warm (AKA) HOT. - but it didn't fail, so 1 or 2 extra volts from an AA battery or two, extra won't be a problem
Old 19th February 2022, 12:37 PM
Friend

thanks John ,The fuji GX680 runs on three different power supply's ,there's a mains adapter, sealed batterie pack and a pack that takes 6AA batteries ..I have rebuilt two lots of batterie packs for my Rolleiflex And now my Fuji and soon I will start on my Nikon F5 rechargeable batterie pack. I may even build a spot welder for welding the tabs on to the batteries
Old 19th February 2022, 06:10 PM
Administrator

A battery will always read higher than its nominal voltage when under no load. And, as John mentions, they will also have a higher voltage on full-charge than when they have been used for a while.

Any equipment intended to be battery powered will be able to take a reasonable (say at least 20%) under or over voltage supply as the designers know the voltage from even the original batteries will vary a lot.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies