Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2022, 03:17 PM
Friend

I am not familiar with the Major construction, but I wonder if the previous owner removed the lenses to clean them, and put one back reversed?
Good luck with the problem.

Cheers.
Old 23rd February 2022, 04:30 PM
Friend

I have the smaller of the two Paterson Focus Finders and have used it for decades with no problem, but then again I rarely make large prints.

I also have two versions of the Peak finders, but never really got on with them. I think that I should try them out again and use them or sell them. The main one even has the blue filter that can start a long conversation on if it is really required for use or not.

Terry S
Old 23rd February 2022, 05:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flack View Post
I have picked a negative with a large easy to see grain, focused using the small patterson finder, then when I use the Major the grain is just not visible clearly when I try to focus with it, no matter what I try around the image it never is as clear as the smaller finder no matter where I put this on the neg..
OK, Flack I picked up you second post wrongly so sorry about that. There is in fact a difference in that the large finder just doesn't focus as clearly. That does suggest that the major isn't quite as good

If the major hasn't got anything loose or the lens hasn't been replaced wrongly then if it's any consolation my feeling is that from my experience the Paterson grain focuser is so good at getting grain pin sharp that even if it can't be focused that sharp, a marginal fuzziness in the grain cannot be picked up when viewing with the naked eye which of course is how prints are viewed.

Try the following and see what if any the difference is: Use the minor on the average size print you make and make a print. Then using the same neg in exactly the same setting try the major until it is the best you can get it and make a second print and mark the back.

Show both to a second party such as wife etc and ask if they can say which is the best and why of the 2 prints

Most people faced with that question try to answer but often it is the wrong answer i.e its contrast, detail etc but unless they nominate fuzziness and pick the genuinely fuzzier one then you can be fairly sure that they haven't spotted it.

Put both away for several days at least then take them both out from a pile of others face up so there is no way you can tell which is which and see if you can pick out the minor and major one

This should help to establish how much of a real difference, in any, there is

Decide on suitable action at that point

I hope this helps

Mike
Old 23rd February 2022, 08:26 PM
Friend

I mainly use the smaller Paterson focus finder,I always find it easier to use with the lens stooped down a stop or 2, but sometimes I get hea problem and I keep one of the LPL finders on my baseboard for just such times, also, for MF negatives, even on Fomapan 400, I need to focus on the fine detail in the negative as I can't see the grain in the larger negatives, The main det of problems I might get is, if making a large print, the Paterson needs my eye close to the peterson, but the LPL works better with the eye a bit away from the finder, but in terms of sharpness there is nothing to choose between them
Richard
Old 23rd February 2022, 09:20 PM
Friend

Ok guys I have found the problem, somebody must have had the lower section out, the bit with the wire across, when I looked down the throat of the tube I could see it was not level so I poked it with a pencil and it nearly fell out.

I thought I had nothing to loose so I tokk it out and turned it the other way up thinking that it might have been put back in wrong, bingo the grain now showing nicely on the eyepiece .
I know somebody mentioned this on an earlier post, but just had the time to check it out fully.

Thanks to all who tried to help..
Old 15th April 2022, 08:09 PM
Friend

I have just bought another enlarger to do 3 x 7 negatives, and the head is way up in the air when making reasonable sized prints.

I already have a Peak which has been excellent so far, but it is too low for the new enlarger.

I have been looking at adverts for the Paterson Major, The scoponet, and an LPL focus finder.

Are the Scoponet and LPLs tall enough to avoid contortions of my head and shoulders?

Also, are they suitable for spectacle wearers? I know my old Paterson Minor was ok with specs..

Any other recommendations for a tall focus finder?

Cheers All.
Old 16th April 2022, 12:52 PM
Friend

It's interesting re-reading this thread, as I too have just bought a secondhand Paterson Major and on initial first goes with it, I too can't focus the grain at all. It is constantly fuzzy, no matter how much I turn the focusing wheel on the enlarger both ways. I am keen to get it to work though, as it did feel much easier to reach the focusing wheel with it, when compared to my trusty smaller version.

When I have a bit more time to go into the darkroom, I'll have another look and check that it hasn't been reassembled badly, or I'm just doing something daft.

I've also recently retried my various Peak Focusers that I have and again, I really couldn't get on with them and don't understand their celebrity status. I even checked on eBay, to maybe try and sell them, but there were loads on there already not selling.

Terry S
Old 16th April 2022, 01:20 PM
Friend

I have 2 of the Paterson major focus finders but I prefer the earlier, solid looking grey model to the newer version.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th April 2022, 03:02 PM
Friend

I have, or had the Paterson Major when I owned a 4x5 enlarger. I didn’t really like it, but to be fair I didn’t persevere with it. I resorted to a thing called MagnaSite which is quite good.
Terry, have you adjusted the eyepiece to suit your eyesight? If I remember correctly, the major has a small screw at the top which allows the eyepiece to move in and out for individual adjustment.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies