Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th April 2022, 08:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
Most definitely NO !

The image, to me, is the most important thing however it was created...

Neil.
I'll second that.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 29th April 2022, 06:29 PM
Friend

Hi! My answer is no. I am with Vincent, Neil and David here, though I can not imagine ever using a digital camera and post processing with a computer.
I painted in my youth and everyone thought that I would study that. Disliked the idea of selling my soul on the art market, though. At the beginning of my 20s a friend had a lab, but no space. My brother and I could offer him this and we could use it as well. That's when I made my first prints. With my first job all vanished. Took up photography many years later again. Now I did not have any space, but got a great scanner for little money. Worked hybrid for ten years before having a darkroom again. Now for 7 years. I am so glad I have one and enjoy every minute. No darkroom may mainly mean not enlarging. But I would very likely take on contact printing on Adox Lupex (successor of Azo) and delve deeper in the 19th century processes, which I hope to do more alongside silver printing anyway.
Frank
Old 30th April 2022, 08:19 PM
Friend

Lack of a darkroom was no deterrent to the central character in the John Le Carre book Smileys People.

George Smiley needs to print a negative, and at the same time trusts no one else with the information it contains.

TWELVE
"From a Pakistani iron-monger who sold everything, he bought two plastic washing-up bowls and a rectangle of commercial glass three and a half inches by five; and from a cash and carry chemist not three doors down, ten sheets of Grade two resin-coated paper of the same size, and a children's pocket torch with a spaceman on the handle and a red filter that slid over the lens when you pushed a nickel button."

He later blacks out the basement and sets to work making a contact print, wasting six sheets of paper in the process.

I think we can all recognise the most basic working darkroom in the text of the story.

Lack of a darkroom did not stop the old retired spy.

Cheers.
Old 1st May 2022, 04:55 PM
Friend

I wouldn’t give up photography, but I don’t think I would scan my negatives. I stopped doing that some years ago and it was the best decision for improving my darkroom printing (and my negatives). I’d channel my inner Vivian Meier and continue to photograph (though I might develop them too and leave them for someone in the future to discover them and realise their full worth haha).
Michael
Old 8th May 2022, 09:06 AM
Friend

Thanks for pointing out that darkroom printing improves the qualitiy of your negatives and reduces waste of film.
Old 9th May 2022, 04:27 PM
Friend

I would not stop making images if I lost my darkroom but some of the joy would be lost that I get from making photographs.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies