Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st May 2022, 07:08 PM
Friend

I think your right, out of 100 ft of film you should start getting some nice negatives before to long, and it would be a shame if you got great negatives only for them to be ruined by cheap film, I always Fomapan, and have done so for many years, so I suggest the Foma film
Richard
Old 21st May 2022, 07:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamknudsen View Post
I have a crazy theory that before I shoot the whole 100 foot bulk roll, I might get better
I find it more crazy thinking of becoming better with cheap but dubious film with unsure availability.

Your idea about supporting Foma, Ilford and other wellnamed companies should be the best.
To all :-)

Reginald
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:02 PM
Friend

Thank you both for the further comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I think your right, out of 100 ft of film you should start getting some nice negatives before to long, and it would be a shame if you got great negatives only for them to be ruined by cheap film, I always Fomapan, and have done so for many years, so I suggest the Foma film
Richard
Richard, could you confirm the Fomapan I'm looking at is the normal Fomapan so many people use and love: "Fomapan 400 Action Black and White Negative Film (35mm Roll Film, 100' Roll)" is the description on B&H. I do not recall ever seeing the word "Action" in the name.

I don't see the name on the can. Maybe a B&H thing... Their "Key features:"

Panchromatic B&W Negative Film
ISO 400/27° in Standard Process
Fine Grain and High Sharpness
Wide Exposure Latitude, +1 EV to -2EV
Ideal for Difficult Lighting Conditions

I prefer the slower ISO100 films, but I found a way to use some small 30.5 ND filters on the very slow old viewfinder. I can also just use the X-700 which goes up to 1/1000 sec. The slower camera I just like because it's fun being slowed down and having to look at all the settings, and one of them is from my late father. Yes, I will go on the record now, come out of the closet. I have THREE Argus C-3 Bricks and love them. Loads of accessories too

Now, where did I put those ND filters
Old 22nd May 2022, 05:40 PM
Friend

Yes, that's the correct film,they call it action only on the ready cut 35mm and 120 film, but the long length's are simply the speed, 100,200 and 400, I prefer the 400 as I often take photos in very low light, and like to hand hold if possible without flash
Richard
Old 22nd May 2022, 06:30 PM
Friend

DAT 2013 - 8 ??

And what are they selling there - if I'm good, I only know 3 or 4 films...
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Yes, that's the correct film,they call it action only on the ready cut 35mm and 120 film,
Richard
I would have liked to have been a "fly on the wall" at that meeting of the marketing dept when they came up with the word "action"

I bet they are all "cool dudes" It's still not as good as "Fantome 8 " and "Babylon 13" in terms of names for films. Now I bet they were so cool that a collective of those marketing gurus is called "An Iceberg"

Mike
Old 25th May 2022, 01:34 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald S View Post
DAT 2013 - 8 ??

And what are they selling there - if I'm good, I only know 3 or 4 films...
I made this list while I was looking around at prices. I skipped ortho, infrared, and HP2. Prices are USD:

Arista EDU Ultra ISO 100, 200, 400 are all $64

Fomapan 400 is $70

Kentmere Pan 400 $72

Kentmere Pan 100 $75

Ilford HP5 Plus $95

Rollei Superpan 200 $100

Rollei RPX 25 $100

Rollei Retro 400S and 80S both are $100

Ilford FP4 Plus $105

Ilford Pan F 50 $107

Rollei RPX 100 $110

Ilford Delta 100 $112.50

Ilford Delta 400 $120

Kodak Professional T-Max 100 $130

Kodak Professional Tri-X 400 and T-Max 400 are $150

For "DAT 2013 - 8 ??" I wouldn't worry about B&H selling expired film Just a marketing photo. It looks like nothing has changed except the date and they cleaned up the can for the newer marketing photo found elsewhere:

But it gets worse, there are at least three different Ilford bulk films with photos like this, and they use at least one of those on their own Amazon store:

Old 25th May 2022, 01:47 AM
Friend

BTW:

Thanks again on all comments.

I went with the Fomapan. Ordered it late last night instead of sleeping. Tonight I'm taking a 2nd round of sleeping pills. I think I actually remembered to order all the stuff I need. Loader, a few plastic cassettes, some chemicals and lab supplies. Over $50 is free shipping, they already shipped it and tracking indicates it will be here Thursday.

If Ultrafine ever gets their metal cassettes back in stock, I'll order some of those. I can't find good metal cassettes anywhere. I don't think anyone local is developing film, or I would go beg for used cassettes.

cheers,

jon
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies