Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th March 2010, 11:35 AM
Friend

Default Lomo Holga 120-3D et al

Hi all,

Can anyone give me any feedback or better still post up an image taken with a Lomo Holga 120 or its 3D counterpart.

I know nothing about these cameras but searching has revealed statements like "Images are extremely soft focus and dreamlike" which i don't want.

what i do want is pairs of sharp - well exposed - color slides from an up and coming climbing trip and i need to buy a "cheapish" set up that will do the job.

bear in mind that on my last climbing trip to this location I smashed an F3 and dropped a Sp 90 Macro about 300 feet so I am not about to thrown 1000's on a stereo camera.

thanks for any input
Rob
Old 16th March 2010, 11:40 AM
Friend

Words like "Holga" and "Sharp" don't belong in the same sentence.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:42 AM
Friend

I suspected as much

thanks Dave

Rob
Old 16th March 2010, 11:50 AM
Friend

I suspect a stereo pair of 6x6 cameras could be made by fixing a couple of Bronicas base to base, but they could set you back £400. Results would be sharp though.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:10 PM
Friend

I am sure the results would be astounding but i am not sure how user friendly that rig would be on a rope 500 m off the ground. Or how much it would weigh with consumables.

maybe ill try a pair of OM-1n's but what i was really after was a compact stereo camera for ease of use and weight saving. this is what drew me to the idea of the Holga.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2010, 12:51 PM
Friend

At a car boot sale last year I bought a pair of Olympus XA2 cameras which had been attached to a plate about 8" long and they had been modified with a couple of electrical contacts each which connected the two shutters together so either shutter button would fire both cameras.

I assume that this was done for stereo use and would probably be compact enough for your use.

Steve.
Old 16th March 2010, 01:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobReglinski View Post
I am sure the results would be astounding but i am not sure how user friendly that rig would be on a rope 500 m off the ground. Or how much it would weigh with consumables.

maybe ill try a pair of OM-1n's but what i was really after was a compact stereo camera for ease of use and weight saving. this is what drew me to the idea of the Holga.

Cheers
It was the reference to 120 that let me to the assumption that you wanted medium format quality. Unless you need the lens interchangability of the OM system there are fixed lens options that are both lighter cheaper that are worth exploring.
Old 16th March 2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Perhaps something like these? Quite expensive but there may be cheaper versions around.

Of course, you only get two half-frame images per 35mm frame so perhaps not so good if you want normal slides...

Last edited by Bob; 16th March 2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:29 PM
Friend

Back in the dark ages, Pentax produced a beam splitter. I'm still using mine. It might be worth looking.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:42 PM
Friend

There are a number of 3D 135 cameras from the 60's like the Stereo Realists. The cheapest medium format one is probably the Russian Sputnik.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies