Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th June 2019, 08:40 PM
Friend

Default price for repair

any idea how much a repair and service can cost on a jammed compur 1
Old 18th June 2019, 12:52 PM
Administrator

You could ask Ian Grant if he would CLA the shutter?
Old 18th June 2019, 03:41 PM
Friend

hi Barry who is Ian Grant
Old 18th June 2019, 06:02 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

His member name on here is Lostlabours. Very knowledgable about all things LF so he is the man to talk to.
Old 18th June 2019, 08:26 PM
Friend

I did think he was the same man but I didn't know for sure ,so I didn't want to presume .thanks bill ,I just cannot believe two shutters can go wrong in the same year ,just bad luck and old and probably never had a service ,it as working great and then just stopped , the shutter blades went half way and no further. I did phone ,newton and ellis and they gussstimated about £110.00 ,and I was thinking in the £60.00 pound bracket so me and my wallet went a little dizzy .I wont get the old compur repaired but my newer compur 1 which is also quite old but not as old as the other one and more modern ,I may get it done do you think it is worth it and is it a good price ..

thanks for all your help

big paul
Old 19th June 2019, 08:48 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

I’ve used Newton Ellis a few times for various repairs and always found them to be competitive. I had my 90mm Super Angulon rebuilt by Black on White in Bristol. They seemed to be about the same price but it is difficult to be sure as I had my Rolleiflex done at the same time. http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/

I’m sure Ian will chime in next time he visits the forum.

Bill
Old 19th June 2019, 10:20 AM
Friend

I'm away lapping up the lack of sun and unusual stormy weather in Turkey ��

I use B on W in Bristol usually for Compur shutter repairs, I can cure sticky LF shutters but don't tinker with taking Compurs apart. They get dissaembled and completely rebuilt by UK repaires.

There are some shutters I'll repair mostly US and focal plane LF shutters British and Graflex including Speed Graphic/MicroPress.

Just haven't had time or more the inclination to learn Compur repairs I have the manuals and repair guides etc. I've enough Wood and Brass camera repairs, TP shutter repairs, and a backlog of SLR repairs.

It is time though I learnt to repair Compurs I have a few that need it . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ian
Old 19th June 2019, 09:25 PM
Friend

I have bought another compur 1 ,with symmar 150mm f5.6 lens ,so I own 3 now .one is a synchro-compur the shutter speed is up to 400 and the aperture opens up to f4.5 and its running slow and It has 150mm glass xenar lens, the next one ,no two is a compur 1 black with silver speed dial ,and its stopped working and that's a 500 shutter speed and f5.6 that I had 210mm glass and the one I have just bought is the same as no two but its all black...I have two 150mm lenses one is a xenar and the other is a symmar
,the xenar goes to 4.5 and the symmar only goes to 5.6 but its a bigger lens and I would say I get a much brighter screen and comes in to focus a lot sharper .I have not tried it as it came today ,so will put some film behind it tomorrow (hoping I can move this wet weather is playing havoc with my arthritis) ,so hopefully I will let you know how it goes ….

That leves me short of one working shutter ,for my 210mm lenses ,I know I can change them about but I would find it easier with my hands for the lenses to have there own shutters ,I will try the other repairers I will give them a ring tomorrow to get a quote ..

thank all Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l200.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	3128
Old 20th June 2019, 06:15 AM
Friend

You could give Miles Whitehead a try. I’ve used him for quite a lot of stuff and he’s very reasonable - much cheaper than most of the usual repairers. You’ll get him on:
mwcamerarepairs@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20th June 2019, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I have bought another compur 1 ,with symmar 150mm f5.6 lens ,so I own 3 now .one is a synchro-compur the shutter speed is up to 400 and the aperture opens up to f4.5 and its running slow and It has 150mm glass xenar lens, the next one ,no two is a compur 1 black with silver speed dial ,and its stopped working and that's a 500 shutter speed and f5.6 that I had 210mm glass and the one I have just bought is the same as no two but its all black...I have two 150mm lenses one is a xenar and the other is a symmar
,the xenar goes to 4.5 and the symmar only goes to 5.6 but its a bigger lens and I would say I get a much brighter screen and comes in to focus a lot sharper .I have not tried it as it came today ,so will put some film behind it tomorrow (hoping I can move this wet weather is playing havoc with my arthritis) ,so hopefully I will let you know how it goes ….

That leves me short of one working shutter ,for my 210mm lenses ,I know I can change them about but I would find it easier with my hands for the lenses to have there own shutters ,I will try the other repairers I will give them a ring tomorrow to get a quote ..

thank all Attachment 3128
The aperture scale of the 210mm Symmar is different as apertures differ with Focal length so you need to make an adjustment to use the 210 cells in the 150mm scaled shutters/

I have a 150mm f4/5 Xenar, also a CZT 150mm f4.5 T coated Tessar, and a 150mm f4.5 Sironar N and the Xenar and Tessar are definitely brighter/

However when I first compared my Crown Graphic and Tessar alongside my Wista 45DX and Sironar there was a very significant difference the Wista screen was brigther by over 3 stops. That's when i upgraded the Crown Graphic's screen later adding a fresnel/ Now with the same lens there's about half a stop difference, the Wista has a very bright composite screen.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies