Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th November 2020, 07:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
I suspect that MG5 is not a rebadged Kentmere going on what Ilford said on one of their factory tours. They said that they could not manufacture Kentmere Paper using their formula as some of the chemicals used were banned in the EU. We do know that some of the older papers from various manufactures were abandoned for this reason. Whether you believe Ilfords statement is for you to decide but does it really matter if we have a paper which we are very happy with?
Tony
I think your right Tony, MG5 is a very good paper indeed, whether it is a Kentmere paper reborn, or whatever I think we should be gratefull to Ilford for giving us great paper's to print on, their range is unsurpassed for quality, and a pleasure to print, RC,FB and their Art 300 paper, tehy are stunning
Richard
Old 21st November 2020, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Film and paper manufacturers seem to be in a constant battle against chemicals becoming banned or unavailable due to lack of demand these days so I see no reason to suspect Harman/Ilford of lying about the research and development that has gone into the new MG emulsion (though I too have my suspicions about their original reason to discontinue the original Kentmere papers).

Using Ilford's recommended fresh/tested film-strength fixer for 60s and hypo-clear is, I think, the best you can do to reduce the time to process a fibre print. It is still going to take an age to dry and then flatten . I recently bought myself a new microwave and transferred the old one to my darkroom in order to dry test-strips quickly (and discovered it is very easy to over-do it and end up with brown damaged paper...).

I still have to see what the new RC paper looks like in a non-glossy surface but I suspect as some suggest, it may replace fibre, especially when intended for display under glass.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies