Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd December 2020, 12:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post
All trays were on a thermostat controlled heating mat at 20°C +/- .5°C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Heating mats don't always help as much as you hope - depending upon the design of your development trays.

I use Paterson trays and they have ribs in the bottom which hold the majority of the tray surface away from the heated surface.

In such cases, the chemical temperature is influenced much more by the air temperature than the heating pad.

The chemical temperature is usually about 2C cooler than the air temperature due to the effects of evaporative cooling.

Kaiser do an angled dish thermometer, which clips over the edge of the dish and with a simple spacer can sit fully immersed in the chemical rather than on the bottom of the tray.

Martin
Old 22nd December 2020, 05:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Heating mats don't always help as much as you hope - depending upon the design of your development trays.

I use Paterson trays and they have ribs in the bottom which hold the majority of the tray surface away from the heated surface.

In such cases, the chemical temperature is influenced much more by the air temperature than the heating pad.

The chemical temperature is usually about 2C cooler than the air temperature due to the effects of evaporative cooling.

Kaiser do an angled dish thermometer, which clips over the edge of the dish and with a simple spacer can sit fully immersed in the chemical rather than on the bottom of the tray.

Martin

I don’t think the mat design is the issue. User error can be though. You don’t want to be measuring the temperature of the tray. Prints going in and being agitated will stir the liquid and ensure the temperature is pretty consistent. In my case I’m pretty confident that my chems are at or close to the right temp so I don’t think that’s the issue. My guess is that it’s the paper. Either being overly humid at some point whilst packaged. Or that this is the nature of the paper. I’ll say again though. The photograph exaggerates the mottling effect in the Kentmere compared to how the eye sees it. It’s nowhere near as bad as it looks.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies