Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 1st May 2021, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And you are gonna leave us hanging Bob?!? I'm almost as excited for you, without even knowing what you picked up!

Terry S
Ah, I may have over-sold it slightly ... It's a new 12x16 print washer - not massively exciting in itself, but nice for me as previously I had to use a mish-mash of trays, Paterson RC washer and a larger 16x20 washer in the bathroom next to my darkroom as the water pressure in the darkroom is only about 3 litres per minute when set to 20C. The smaller 12x16 washer fits and runs perfectly in my sink with that amount of water throughput. The washer has a dedicated slot for hypo-clear, saving another tray taking up space.

Before:
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	4170

After:
Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	4171

Apologies for drifting slightly off topic...

Last edited by Bob; 1st May 2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:44 PM
Friend

Curiosity quenched Bob. Especially as I've never known anyone who has bought one of these new Bob, so there's first and I'm sure I would have been just as excited.

I like the layout of your 'wet side'. Mine is really cramped, but doable and this is where my Nova slot processor comes into its own.

I also like the look of the print that you are working on in the pictures. Is someone going to be a lucky receiver in the PE rounds?

Happy washing!

Terry S
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
And received this morning

A great IR shot of Lochranza Castle on the Isle of Arran. Alex used the new MG V (is it satin or pearl - I can never remember which is which!) which is very interesting to me as I keep meaning to get some in this surface.

The IR has really helped add contrast to the stonework of the castle increasing apparent sharpness (along with the PC Nikkor providing actual sharpness!) and has done its usual work on the sky and clouds etc adding a slightly surreal atmosphere.

Thanks Alex, much appreciated.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks, Bob. I was out all day yesterday, so missed your post. I’m glad you liked the print. The washer looks great!
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 4th May 2021, 05:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
My print went in the post first class today. I couldn't find a stiffened envelope, so I hope it arrives uncreased.
It was waiting for me when I got home today, A very vivid colour print of a skate park, It looks like it was painted by grafitee artists, and I like it a lot,Thanks Edmund
Richard
Old 4th May 2021, 07:06 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
Mine's in the post. Hope it makes it before the end of the month!
Hi Rob,
Well received today. I like the image of this harbour scene very much and the print is excellent. I also take delight in disorder (though preferably the one according to Robert Herrick) and it don't mean a thing, if that rope ain't got that swing. The Foma Retrobrom is new to me and makes a good impression.
Thanks & best wishes, Frank
Old 5th May 2021, 02:40 PM
Friend

Received today two rather delicious prints from Bob. Both landscapey in nature - one from Lake District (trees in front of mountain) and one from Northumberland (waterfall).

Both on MGIV paper but using a home-brewed cold tone developer & sepia toner. I like trying out different toning formulae myself so these are right down my street.

They are quite different prints -there’s a real sparkle to the waterfall one which is beautifully printed. The other is much softer in tone but again very nicely printed.

Thank you, Bob - I shall enjoy looking at these!
Michael

Quote:
Mine put in the post-box earlier today - nearly forgot to post the envelope in the excitement of collecting a new darkroom toy from Nova (AKA The Imaging Warehouse...)
Old 5th May 2021, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Glad they reached you OK Michael and that they are up your alley.

I did find that "Defender" formula toner using Potassium Carbonate instead of the more usual sodium hydroxide gave very different effects depending on how much bleaching you gave it and gives a deeper brown on the MGIV FB. I am currently waiting on some pure sodium chloride from ebay (could probably find Kosher salt in the supermarket but, hey ho...) so I can make up some chloride based bleach for some FSA toning experiments - perhaps next month's exchange print will have the results of that .

Last edited by Bob; 5th May 2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 6th May 2021, 01:01 PM
Friend

Quote:
I am currently waiting on some pure sodium chloride from ebay (could probably find Kosher salt in the supermarket but, hey ho...) so I can make up some chloride based bleach for some FSA toning experiments - perhaps next month's exchange print will have the results of that .
I too bought some Kosher salt online for the same reason, and then misplaced the paperwork that I printed out with various formulas on. It was only afterwards that I realised that I have a Waitrose just round the corner from me and they have a good selection of various world wide cuisine products. I only paid a few pounds, so I was happy to contribute to a smaller sellers profits.

I'll have another look in my 'filed' batch of bits that I intend getting around to, where I'll hopefully find the lists of chloride based bleaches. But for today, I'm returning to the darkroom, to carry on testing my box of 50 year old FB paper, with various dilutions of different home mixed developers, with additions of various amounts of benzotriazole. What fun!

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies