Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - Large Format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd November 2021, 04:16 PM
Friend

Default Inside a Toyo 5x4 film holder.

My dark slide was making an awful noise when being withdrawn, so I drilled the heads off the rivets and opened up the film holder. The spring teeth had buckled and chewed up the felt seals. I may be able to straighten the spring comb and fit new felt. Anyone know of a good place to buy felt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211102_160719.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	4266   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211102_160553.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	4267  
Old 2nd November 2021, 05:14 PM
Friend

Is it felt or velvet that's been compacted? I ask only because the only holder I've had apart was a very old glass plate holder and that used velvet. I bought a length of velvet ribbon from a local fabric franchise.
They sell felt as well, although you'd need to cut it to size.
The velvet ribbon was good because I managed to get a strip of the right width and the edges are already cleanly finished - no shedding. The felt I've cut to shape hasn't unravelled in any way, but I don't know whether it sheds or not as I'm using it for a different application.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies