Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th March 2022, 03:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
When loading, it is a good idea to load the film in position before you undo the tape. It also helps to keep a thumb on the film as you unroll it to attach to the empty spool, and as you wind to the start point. Apologies if you already know that.
Alex
That's good advice, thanks!
As MF is all new to me, I'm still learning a lot as I go. So I can never get too much advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
The netter is a pretty good folder, Zeiss cameras were very nice, and the Novar lens, although a triplet, is one of the best of them, I have a couple of Zeiss cameras with the Novar lens and they perform well, Kodak did make their spools slightly thiner as film and backing paper got slightly thinner, I have seen the same thing happen with a camera I bought with an old Kodak spool, it was ever so slightly thinner than Foma or Ilford spools and were fine for Kodak films, which were made for the spool, but not with orthey film, it was, I think, a Kodak trick to keep you ucing Kodak film, and no other. Have fun with the Netter, MF and folders can become addictive
Richard
Ah that wouldn't surprise me to create some kind of vendor lock-in like that.
It could still very well be just something like the spool not being completely round anymore, caused by heat or just age, I don't know.
For now I'll just put it aside, I've got two empty Foma spools and soon I'll probably have more...

Anyway, I'm very happy with how the Nettar performs, a very capable camera indeed!

Now I have one question remaining and that is, what is the difference between a 75mm and an 80mm enlarger lens? As stated above I have both and my 80mm Anaret is most likely the better of the two, but what's the purpose of a 75mm if they both cover 6x6?
Old 12th March 2022, 04:32 PM
Friend

Default Med Format

M/F is terrific but can ruin a bank balance quicker than loaning your wife your credit card! It's only difficulty is good items are becoming rarer now and the price is creeping up.

Near the start of your post you mention the terrific amount of detail compared to 35mm there may appear to be more but I think it is more to do with the larger negative and you can see the details easier.
Old 12th March 2022, 07:05 PM
Friend

Sorry Buzz, I read your measurements correctly but then had a brain freeze and wrote that 0.1 was a whole mm

Mike
Old 12th March 2022, 08:21 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=BuzzNL;144274

Anyway, I'm very happy with how the Nettar performs, a very capable camera indeed!

Now I have one question remaining and that is, what is the difference between a 75mm and an 80mm enlarger lens? As stated above I have both and my 80mm Anaret is most likely the better of the two, but what's the purpose of a 75mm if they both cover 6x6?[/QUOTE]

If the MF bug really bites and you are happy with a folder look for a Zeiss Ikonta with a 2.8 Tessar and the difference will be amazing.

Whilst I don't have any experience with either of the two lenses you mention the main difference between a 75mm and an 80mm is the 75mm will give a slightly wider angle so for a given enlarger column height the image would be slightly bigger. I would think the 80mm is the better of the two though.
Old 13th March 2022, 05:14 AM
Friend

I worked with an Anaret lens and still have one - I have a replacement enlager stored, an Opemus. It is a fine lens if stopped to f/8. Anarets are tessar like lenses. Of course, Rodagon (Planar type, 6 lenses) are said to be better. I never found a difference for b/w work. The opemsu enlargers were sold with Anaret, at least here in eastern Germany.

Belar is said to be of lower quality, but this I know only from hearsay.
Old 13th March 2022, 10:13 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
M/F is terrific but can ruin a bank balance quicker than loaning your wife your credit card! It's only difficulty is good items are becoming rarer now and the price is creeping up.
Haha I hear you! Based on my photography interests I think I might still do the majority of my photography on 35mm. Not only because of cost, but that's also a factor.
I've got a couple of nice setups gathered in 35mm which I'm very happy with and with the right film they give me good results.
It's mostly that everyone is so enthusiastic about MF that I want to see for myself what the fuss is all about...
And it's definitely something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Sorry Buzz, I read your measurements correctly but then had a brain freeze and wrote that 0.1 was a whole mm

Mike
No worries! The difference is almost invisible, but it's definitely there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
If the MF bug really bites and you are happy with a folder look for a Zeiss Ikonta with a 2.8 Tessar and the difference will be amazing.
Interesting! I'll play a bit more with this Nettar first and then decide whether I'd want to dive deeper into MF or not

Quote:
Whilst I don't have any experience with either of the two lenses you mention the main difference between a 75mm and an 80mm is the 75mm will give a slightly wider angle so for a given enlarger column height the image would be slightly bigger. I would think the 80mm is the better of the two though.
That makes sense. I've read online indeed that my 80mm is the better of the two. Not state-of-the-art, but probably / hopefully good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Pilz View Post
I worked with an Anaret lens and still have one - I have a replacement enlager stored, an Opemus. It is a fine lens if stopped to f/8. Anarets are tessar like lenses. Of course, Rodagon (Planar type, 6 lenses) are said to be better. I never found a difference for b/w work. The opemsu enlargers were sold with Anaret, at least here in eastern Germany.

Belar is said to be of lower quality, but this I know only from hearsay.
Good to read that you've got OK results with the Anaret. Gives me confidence that it must be possible to get some good prints with it!

I'll hopefully get some time to make a print soon. Will need to verify first whether I can keep using my LED bulb with the 80mm or if I need to swap it again for the original Osram bulb because of the possible vignetting of the LED bulb.
And I need to modify the bracket of my contrast filter holder a bit, as it doesn't fit my enlarger anymore with this lens. But that's an easy enough fix!
Old 15th March 2022, 07:06 PM
Friend

Made my first prints of the 6x6 negatives using the 80mm Anaret.
They're only small 5x7" prints on 1980s Ilfospeed paper that a friend recently gave me. Surprisingly there was no paper fog and the contrast held up pretty well too!

The real prints look much better than the scans, nice and sharp and no noticeable vignetting from the LED bulb.
So far so good!

Old 15th March 2022, 07:43 PM
Friend

These look excellent!
Old 15th March 2022, 09:35 PM
Friend

Time to hang up the 35mm!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 16th March 2022, 10:07 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
These look excellent!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
Time to hang up the 35mm!
Haha you'd almost think so! Truth is, I really can't live without my good old Olympus...

But, I've ordered some more 120 film yesterday because I definitely want to explore this little camera a little more!
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies