Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th April 2022, 05:09 PM
Friend

Default Old FP4 & PanF

Hi guys

I'm after a bit of advice, please.

I have a block of 10 x 120 FP4 together with a block of 10 x 120 PanF.

Both are dated to expire Oct 2017 but have been stored in my deep freeze at -20C, since I bought them on an Ilford tour in 2014.

Two questions really :-

1) - Will they still be OK ?

2) Will the emulsions have lost any speed during the time they have been in storage ?

I have just started using a block of Delta 100 bought at the same time and stored in the same way - all is fine except it has lost about 2/3rd of a stop of speed.

I'm also open to reasonable offers for the film if anyone wants to buy them from me.

Thanks

Martin
Old 19th April 2022, 05:27 PM
Friend

They will be fine, no different to fresh films, no special treatment.

Expiry dates used to be 5 to 6 years, ISO 9002 requirements meant the dates were shortened to 2 to 3 tears, for stock control rather than quality.

I'm using film from around 2004 with no problems at all, although not Ilford. Hover I have used HP5 sheet film in the past that was 8 years past the expiry date again with no issues.

Not sure why your Delta 100 has a speed loss, it's not been my experience, and I'm shooting much older Delta 100, just stored at floor level in my darkroom.

Ian
Old 19th April 2022, 07:48 PM
Friend

Just a small point, Martin that may be redundant here on FADU but when I read the thread title, I had then expected the film to be much older. It was only after reading the text that I realised it was not old FP4 or PanF but was the current FP4 Plus and Pan F Plus that was only a little of date

It is just possible that some members might not open the thread as they assume it was in fact very old FP4 replaced as far back as 1990 by FP4 Plus

Just a thought, especially if you are open to offers. Some members who might otherwise be tempted on FP4 and Pan F Plus might not bother to investigate if they thought it was, in the FP4 case, film that was at least 32 years old

Mike
Old 19th April 2022, 08:51 PM
Friend

I'm with Ian.
Film should be absolutely fine, and at your usual exposure speed. I use a lot of PanF and have never had a problem with film a couple of years 'past it'. Yours was bought fresh then frozen, can't ask for better provenance.
Old 19th April 2022, 09:28 PM
Friend

Just for fun, I exposed a roll of FP3 120 film with an expiry date of October 1971 on Saturday.
I didn't expect anything, but it turned out very well.
I set the TTL meter on my rz67 to ISO 64 and used the film up. I developed in D76 stock for 9:30 # 21*C and the negatives look good. I wish I had a scanner to upload the images.
Go ahead and use the films and I am sure that they will be perfect.
Old 19th April 2022, 09:33 PM
Friend

How much do you want for the films?
Old 2nd May 2022, 03:03 PM
Friend

I would add a note of caution out dated 120 film can suffer from mottling it is more prevalent with foma film with the black backing paper and does happen with ilford as well. I have experienced it with both.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 2nd May 2022, 08:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
Just for fun, I exposed a roll of FP3 120 film with an expiry date of October 1971 on Saturday.
I didn't expect anything, but it turned out very well.
I can certainly attest to the ability of FP3 to withstand what must have been some "abuse" after processing. I discovered some strips of FP3 that must have been processed no later than the mid 1950s judging by the prints I made from them. They were being used as bookmarks in a second -hand book I had picked up in Banbury. I cannot say for how long but I suspect the book had been "round the houses" for a good while with the strips of FP3 negs in it

Only time I have ever seen nag strips used as bookmarks in my history of browsing second-hand books in NT and other charity bookshops

Mike
Old 3rd May 2022, 10:46 AM
Friend

The FP3 films I have are a box of three with the processing times printed on the box.
The time for ID-11 stock is 9 minutes.
Because of the age, I rated the film at ISO 64 and developed for an extra half minute.
It came out really well considering that the use by date was October 1971.
Old 3rd May 2022, 02:24 PM
Friend

Back in the late 1960s Ilford films had an expiry date of around 5 years from the date of manufacture, so that film was probably made around 1966.

When I began processing my own at school around 1968 FP4 * HP4 had just been released, the only place you could get FP3 and HP3 were the ex-Government surplus stores like A W Young, Marston & Heard, and Harringat Photographic Supplies. I shot a lot of FP3 because it was 40/- for 100ft, around half the price of FP4.

Ian
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies