Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st January 2010, 11:46 PM
Friend

Default John Hedgecoe's Complete Guide to Black and White Photography and Darkroom Techniques

This was probably the first book I read in my local library when I became interested in B&W and I have since borrowed it several times. While it is covers darkroom techniques and several processes it is not a printing or processing text book in the same way that Les McLean's or Tim Rudman's are. However it does cover many "taking" aspects quite well such as Still Life, Portraits and Landscapes and has over 200 interesting photographs. The 1994 version to which I am referring now has an almost historical interest, given the changes we've seen in the last 16 years.

It is a book which may be worth a place in your B&W library and might have special interest for any newcomers to B&W.

It became available for purchase in the annual library sale and I felt that it was worth buying for the princely sum of 50p. I think it to be a worthwhile primer for a B&W newcomer.

My library is however big enough and I feel I ought to offer it here in case there are any friends who want to add this to their stock.

Anyone interested in obtaining this, please PM me. It is yours on a first come first served basis for the cost of posting. My contribution will be the cost of purchase.

Be aware that this book in what appears to be later editions can still be obtained from Amazon, relatively cheaply. I have no idea if later editions are improvements on the 1994 version I have

Mike
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:50 AM
Friend

has this offer been taken up?
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:51 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsparkes View Post
has this offer been taken up?
Jon send Mike a PM, that way he will see it as soon as he logs-on.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:00 AM
Friend

Thanks Dave
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:27 AM
Friend

Can someone please explain who J. Hedgecoe is (was)? I've seen several of his books, but the most impressive was the one from the 70's (don't know the original title as it was translated to Slovenian language as well). This book was lavishly ilustrated with superb photographs. By reading his books one feels he knows everything about photography from the tech side and by looking at his photos, he seems great photographer as well.
Old 11th February 2010, 04:05 PM
Friend

Sorry Folks, I have just realised I have not said what the outcome was of my offer and should have done. Jonsparkes bought it. I'd like to think that if there had been other inquiries I'd have communicated the outcome immediately but nevertheless and in case others were wondering I should have said something.

Mike
Old 11th February 2010, 04:30 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Can someone please explain who J. Hedgecoe is (was)? I've seen several of his books, but the most impressive was the one from the 70's (don't know the original title as it was translated to Slovenian language as well). This book was lavishly ilustrated with superb photographs. By reading his books one feels he knows everything about photography from the tech side and by looking at his photos, he seems great photographer as well.
A prolific author: from wikipedia.John Hedgecoe (born 1932) is an award-winning photographer and best-selling author of over 30 books on photography. He established the photography department in 1965 at the Royal College of Art, where he was Professor from 1975–1994 and is currently Professor Emeritus. His photographs appear in permanent collections at the New York Museum of Modern Art and London's National Portrait Gallery.
He has written several Non-Fiction books upon the subject of photography including John Hedgecoes's Complete Guide To Photography (1990).

John Hedgecoe lives at Oxnead Hall, near Aylsham, Norfolk.

Also see:

http://www.bookfinder.com/author/john-hedgecoe/
for a list of some of his work.
Old 11th February 2010, 09:29 PM
Friend

In 1983 John Hedgecoe had a programme on Channel 4 (I think) called 'What A Picture' covering many aspects of photography. The programmes were later released on video in 4 volumes and our club bought them. When the club later folded the 4 video's finished up in my possession and I still have them today.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 12th February 2010, 02:13 PM
Friend

Thanks Dave!
But since he's Brit, I somehow expected more info from FADU members.
Old 28th June 2010, 02:41 PM
Friend

I just learned he passed away this month...

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...rld-photograph

Miha
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies