Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st May 2020, 05:44 PM
Friend

Default Pushing HP5

There is an interesting article on the Ilford web site by Andrew Sanderson about pushing HP5.

He tries out a few different pushing methods and developers.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/uprating...d-development/

If anyone is interested.

Martin
Old 31st May 2020, 06:09 PM
Friend

Martin,

I find HP5+ pushes nicely to 800 iso without any real loss of quailty in my work - I use it now and again - when needed.

The problem I have with pushing it above this is I'd rather be using Delta 3200. But I have seen some great work from others who do.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 31st May 2020, 06:11 PM
Friend

Interesting. Ilford always recommended Microphen for push processing which I ysed with HP3, HP4 and mostly HP5.

2 or 3 years ago I pushed a sheet of 5x4 HP5 to around 1600 in Pyrocat HD and was mazed at the results althogh made in low evening sunlight there was excellent detail in the deep shadows as well as the highlights. In terms of processing it was close to the Morteson method.

The image didn't quite work because 1/25 at f5.5 with a 360mm Telephoto is way less than ideal for a moving locomotive, but Tornado was 90 minutes late at dusk In terms of push processing it worked extremely well though.

Ian
Old 31st May 2020, 06:37 PM
Friend

Thanks Martin. An interesting article. On the Mortensen method I was clear about everything except the duration of the agitation in the last 10 mins. Is this the standard Ilford agitation of 10 secs in every minute?

In the absence of any other info I suspect that you are meant to assume that agitation reverts to the Ilford regime which in my case probably works out at about 7-8 inversions in the 10 secs recommended by Ilford

I don't unfortunately use ID11 anymore switching to Xtol a good number of years ago and have no idea how Mortensen translates with Xtol

Strangely enough of the prints Andrew presented I thought Rodinal stand and ID11 edged it over Mortensen. The hightlights seemed brighter and the print has a less muddy look to it

When I use D3200 I never use it beyond the 1600 anyway that HP5+ can be rated at so maybe HP5+ at only about 60% the price of D3200 is the way to go

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies