Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th November 2020, 09:10 AM
Friend

I find the Foma films are best rated at about 50% of their advertised box speed with most developers + an increase in the dev time. I haven't used the develooper under discussion, however, it would seem reasonable to expect the same. If you have a spare film handy do some testing with that, or part thereof, or you may lose all your work.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 10th November 2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10th November 2020, 09:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W Neil View Post
I find the Foma films are best rated at about 50% of their advertised box speed with most developers + an increase in the dev time. I haven't used the develooper under discussion, however, it would seem reasonable to expect the same. If you have a spare film handy do some testing with that, or part thereof, or you may lose all your work.

Neil.
The only time I don't need an increase in development time is with ID11/D76, they suggest 7 to i8 minutes in stock and I find that the 400 at 250 develops well at 8 minutes in stock, but with my other main developer, Rodinal, I rate at 250, and need 18 minutes as opposed to the 12 minutes suggested time at 1/50, like you, I have never used the developer discussed, but I have tried different developers over the years and they all needed extra developing time in various degree's
Richard
Old 10th November 2020, 09:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
The only time I don't need an increase in development time is with ID11/D76, they suggest 7 to i8 minutes in stock and I find that the 400 at 250 develops well at 8 minutes in stock, but with my other main developer, Rodinal, I rate at 250, and need 18 minutes as opposed to the 12 minutes suggested time at 1/50, like you, I have never used the developer discussed, but I have tried different developers over the years and they all needed extra developing time in various degree's
Richard

Richard,

it is unusal that no one on this forum has used the combo Adrian is asking about but I guess there's still time? Maybe over the weekend someone will pick this up. The Foma films are used by thousands - but apparently not with this developer!

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th November 2020, 11:20 AM
Friend

I was surprised by the silence, the developer must be popular or else I can't see Firstcall still stocking it, they have bee selling it in one for m or another, now under their own name, for a few years now,only,but their seems to almost nothing even with a google search for this como, even the massive dev chart lists nothing for any form of d74 for any foma film, which makes me think that maybe foma film and d74 don't do well,
Richard
Old 10th November 2020, 06:20 PM
Friend

Like many others I find Foma 100 and 200 work well in Rodinal so I haven't had the need to look elsewhere. Not much use here I know but sometimes it is worth 'parking it' and moving on.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th November 2020, 07:05 PM
Friend

I agree about Fomapan, any of them, work very well in good old Rodinal, and 90% of my film's are developed in it, but I get restless now and then and decide to try something new, but I always seem to come back to Rodinal, for the past couple of month's I have been giving ID11 a go, bought a 5 liter packet, and I don't like waste, and it's not bad in it, but somehow I find that both 200 and 400 just seem to have character in Rodinal, I have never used the 100, it would be way to slow for a lot of the very low light hand held photography that I do, or did do before Covid and the places I did my photography in during the summer closed, maybe next year
Richard
Old 10th November 2020, 10:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlambert View Post

I’m shooting a mix of tmax400 and fomapan 200. Tmax is easy, it’ll be on the developer packaging but the fomapan isn’t going to be so easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did Richard and I do, but earlier I said this. I haven’t been taken by Fomapan 400 which is partly why I’m not worried about devving it in an untested developer.

Old 10th November 2020, 10:18 PM
Friend

Quote:
In actual fact I believe that you should get 200 with this developer, When byt I suggest that you develop for the 200 try 8 minutes, I have always found that Fomapan 200 and 400 need about 2 minutes extra in most develpers, even ID11, so give it the 8, as you have exposed at box speed, 200 in reality is 125,good luk, sorry for the confusion, but I was going by your original post 16 when you gave 400 rather than 200, and I was looking for 400 film, which seems to be very few and far between.
Richard

Thanks for the tip. I’ll dev for 8 mins.

Old 10th November 2020, 10:20 PM
Friend

Default D74/RHS-DC relative to LP Supergrain/Rollei Supergrain/AM-74/RHS

Quote:
I was surprised by the silence, the developer must be popular or else I can't see Firstcall still stocking it, they have bee selling it in one for m or another, now under their own name, for a few years now,only,but their seems to almost nothing even with a google search for this como, even the massive dev chart lists nothing for any form of d74 for any foma film, which makes me think that maybe foma film and d74 don't do well,
Richard

I’ve been using Robert Vonk’s posts as bible but it seems I may have been mislead. D74 was close to or the same as am74/supergrain/rhs according to some. But it changed to a double concentrate making it equivalent to Rollei rhs-dc made by spur in Germany. The Firstcall pack that I’ve just received was made by Compard in Germany.

Also re Robert’s posts, I can’t seem to find it now but I’m sure I saw him post that d74 and fomapan 200 are a good fit. But! Was he referring to the standard or the double concentrate version?! Looks like I may be taking one for the team!

Last edited by adrianlambert; 10th November 2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11th November 2020, 10:38 AM
Friend

It is not made by Compard, AFIK they don't make chemistry, just supply it, I believe that Compard is actualy made by Tetenal, who are the biggest photochemistry makers in Germany, all the Rollei chemistry is made by Tetenal, or at leastt 99% of it is, as I said earlier, just follow the times for the Rollei RHS developer, which is I believe the same formula as the d74 rhs dc that you have, they just use a different name to avoid problem's with Rollie, and I can find more about the Rollei rhs than d74
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies