Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd November 2014, 10:41 AM
Friend

Default Durst M601 max size

Hi everyone,

I have been printing for a while my 7 x 9½in pictures without any problem using my DurstM601 with a 50mm lens enlarger but I would like print larger size, which is the maximun size I can print using that enlarger ?

My deam would be to print 20 x 24in frames, do you think I can do that ?

Thanks,
Pietro
Old 24th November 2014, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hi Pietro.

Welcome to the forum.

That is *very* large. It is unlikely the enlarger will enlarge to that size as it is - even with a wide-angle enlarging lens - but simply moving the head as far up as it will go and seeing how large the image on the baseboard is will tell you if it can go that large without adaption. If that is not sufficient, you can reverse the column on the baseboard and project from the table (or a stable chair etc) on to the floor.

I have not tried this myself but the general suggestions I have seen are to put a pile of books or other heavy weight on the easel to stop the enlarger tippling over when you reverse the column!

Exposure time will be long so the whole setup would need to be as stable as you can make it - the distance from the enlarger to the paper will make any vibration more noticable in the print.

Good luck! Cheers, Bob.
Old 24th November 2014, 11:53 PM
Friend

Hi Pietro and welcome to FADU. I have a Durst 605 and while I have never tried to make a 20x24 inch with it and with a 50mm lens I think I would struggle to enlarge a print to that size but as Bob has said you can turn the column. The other way is an extension for the column which is available for the 605 and it might be the same extension for the 601.Finding one might be difficult

A wide angle might manage it as well. What can you manage at maximum height with a 50mm lens? If it is close to 20x24 then a wide angle might be OK.

The cheapest solution has to be reversing the column as nothing new is required.

Finally bear in mind that unless your 35mm negative has very high resolution the print at 20x 24 will lose quite a lot of definition.

Let us know what you decide and how the print turns out

Mike
Old 25th November 2014, 12:31 AM
Friend

I have done the "turn the column round and project on to the floor" trick - It works as long as the floor and the worktop are both level. Another alternative is to rotate the head 90° and project on to a wall. But if you are wanting clean borders with an easel, then projecting on to the floor is probably best.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:30 AM
Friend

The maximum size on the baseboard is limited by the base of the column which eventually gets in the way. Floor projection is probably best, although, as Paul says, there is the option of turning the head 90 degrees for wall projection. If you do that, make sure the condensers inside the head are fully screwed down and the retaining catch on top of the head is in place, or you'll end up with a lot of bits on the floor! I think the M601 can use a 150 watt lamp which would help with big enlargements. You should check the manual first to make sure before trying that. One other thing. If you loosen the screw that holds the head on its mounting, you can pull it forward a bit, and tighten it again. This gives a bit more clearance of the column base, but probably not enough for 20x24" prints.
Alex.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:40 AM
Friend

Wow, thank you guys I did not expect so many answers.

I do not want play too many complicated tricks giving the fact I am working in my
bathroom (and I do not have a wall where I can project on, it is a so tiny room!) and I am at the beginning.Nevertheless I think I have got some good tips, like an wide angle lens for my enlarger. Do you think the maximum size of the enlargment I can do with my current tool is limited by the size of the baseboard ? Is it a god approximation ?

Which kind of enlarger is required for such big size, do you have any model in your mind ? Might be still so early but I still have a dream of such poster size and sooner or later I would like to make it.
Old 25th November 2014, 09:58 AM
Friend

The limit is determined by the distance from the lens axis to the enlarger column. Then if you have an easel on the baseboard that will take another x inches off that dimension, usually 1 to 4 inches.

So if the distance from lens axis to column is 10 inches minus say 3 inches for easel then you only 7 inches in that direction (from center of print) and therefore 7 inches in other direction. So the max length on short side of print would be 14 inches.

So take a ruler and measure distance from your lens axis to column. Then measure distance of top edge of easel to print area and subtract from lens axis to column distance. Then subtract an extra 1 inch (easel uses this when you open it).

That gives you half of max image height in that direction.

Then the other limiting factor is column height which if its not high enough may mean you need a wide angle lens but I doubt that. 50mm will probably get you max available with your enlarger.

another way of increasing this max size (not yet mentioned by others here) is to use a wall mount for enlarger. This allows you to slide easel edge under the column. But if you are doing this in bathroom that probably isn't practical and wall mounts are rare as hens teeth anyway.

Making your own easel from a piece of wood and spraying wood with lightly tacky glue so that you can place paper right to edge of it can increase the useable distance from lens axis to column by a couple of inches so that means maybe upto 4 inches extra print size. The paper can be peeled off the lghtly tacky easel.

Last edited by Argentum; 25th November 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 25th November 2014, 10:13 AM
Friend

The M601 can enlarge to any size you want, as Paul says just rotate the head pin the paper to a wall or a board. I've done a life size cut out of a person that way.

The other option is bench or wall mount the enlarger and have an adjustable bench. I had a piece that I could slot in a different heights and regularly did 20x24" and larger prints. I a had an M601 (later an M670) and a Johnsons V45 side by side for quite a few years using this method, it's very practical.

Ian
Old 25th November 2014, 04:10 PM
Friend

here you go, you can buy borderless easels if you don't want to make your own.

http://www.beselerphoto.com/easels/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ing_Easel.html
Old 25th November 2014, 10:05 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro View Post
Which kind of enlarger is required for such big size, do you have any model in your mind ? Might be still so early but I still have a dream of such poster size and sooner or later I would like to make it.
I have a pair of Durst L1200 enlargers - Whilst they are capable of projecting a 20x24 image, I would struggle with an easel. A floor standing Durst or DeVere would probably be a better option (or a wall mount as per Ian's suggestion). If you want to go even bigger, you are pushing in to horizontal enlarger territory and you will need a much bigger room than a small bathroom. Did I mention paper is also hideously expensive for large rolls ?

Tags
enlarger, m601, paper, printing, size
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies