Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd May 2010, 02:28 PM
Friend

Default Should I worry about.... FB dryer problem

Picked up a vintage* Photax print dryer recently, and after working out how to remove the cloth screen, gave it a real good wash. While I had it on the workbench, also replaced the cable (yes, I do know about electrics).

*Assembled by Betty in 1965

Used it to dry a couple of prints last night, one at a low setting, another on high(ish) - Both attempts, the prints stuck to the cloth and had to be peeled off. Despite this, the prints are nice and flat compared to the curly air dried attempts in the past.

Should I worry about the prints sticking, or am I doing something wrong ?
Old 2nd May 2010, 02:31 PM
Friend

Yes, you are, and when you find out what it is let me know because that's why I don't use mine.
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:09 PM
Friend

you are most certainly doing something wrong, the prints should just pop off, but I never worked what the problem was myself, when you find out let us know,Richard
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:19 PM
Friend

Paul. I use a FB print dryer but I do not dry the prints fully using this method. I adjust the thermostat so that a thermometer placed under the apron reads 50C, I then partially dry a well blotted print for 3 minutes. The prints are then placed between photographic blotters (large sheets from Silverprint) under weights until completely dry at room temperature.

I have found sticking is somewhat dependant on the paper used. On the whole Ilford papers are ok. The worst was Agfa's Record Rapid.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:46 PM
Friend

Aaaaaaaaaargh

'Broken fingers'
Old 2nd May 2010, 04:32 PM
Friend

And to think I nearly bought one of these as part of the package of secondhand stuff when I set up my darkroom. That old Scots meanness worked for me again. :

Seriously is there a flaw in these dryers? It sounds as if they break the trades description act in that as I understand it they are meant to be the answer to total drying. Nothing else required.

Instead they appear to ressemble a car powered by placing your legs through holes in the floorboard and pushing a la the Flinstones.

Mike
Old 3rd May 2010, 06:42 AM
Friend

have never had a problem with mine though I only use it with the glazing plate print face down.

When you say sticking are we talking lifts with the apron or welded on and has to be chiseled off. My thinking is as you have just washed it have you removed any coating it may of had or has it shrunk slightly and is now too tight causing excess pressure on the print, as when washing a pair of jeans they need wearing in every time to become comfortable prehaps streaching the apron would help.

Be interesting to know how you solve the problem in case I ever suffer it.

Paul.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:20 PM
Friend

I tried face down on the ferrotyping plate - Got all sorts of crap embedded in the emulsion, so I will think twice about doing that again). Face up, it lifts up with the apron and has to be peeled off. Makes the same sort of noise as duct tape on cat fur when it comes off. Even although the apron was dried fitted to the dryer, I'll take it off and run a hot iron over it to see if it improves things.

Even although I've only done a couple of prints so far, I kinda like the finish.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:51 PM
Friend

My old Photax does the same, I run it as low as possible now and have extended drying times but like Trevor I've decided to use the Silverprint blotting paper for the final stage.

It's nice to have the beast for times when I want to get something finished but to be honest I'd rather come back the next day after flattening the prints under a pile of weights instead.

steve
Old 7th May 2010, 11:13 AM
Friend

I rather like the effect of FB Gloss print drying face-up ie print surface against the canvas.

To get the print to a high gloss finish the print must be face down against a VERY CLEAN mirror like plate which has recently been polished to with a lint free rag and LOTS of elbow grease.

I didn't like the effect very mush, the success rate was abysmal (any surface imperfection stood out like a sore thumb) and frankly couldn't be bothered with the hassle

For face-up prints you have to “weather” in the canvas – an old sheet is great but a new sheet has to be “run-in” on lots of old prints to de-fluff the loose canvas fibres.

The end result with gloss FB is to take some of the shine off the surface and render it a bit less glossy but not quite as far as semi-matt. My best analogy would be Ilfords Pearl RC finish.

The emulsion to canvas approach is less time/temp critical too

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies