Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th June 2011, 05:47 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Supra Endura RA4 Paper- Age Fogged?

Need help from any users of the above. I was trying to recalibrate my Colourstar 3000 analyser last night as I want to try some Supra Endura. Several years ago it was calibrated for Fuji CA but I haven't done any colour printing for a few years.

I used a 5x7 pack of Supra which has to be quite old. The first calibration procedure uses a standard test neg of a standard grey card. It involves exposing half of a 5x1 inch strip so you should get (eventually) a white unexposed section and a neutral grey exposed section. There were and are still problems!!

Anyway and this might be unconnected to the calibration problems the unexposed section came out as a kind of ivory/cream colour.

Does Supra have ivory/cream in its unexposed area such as borders or should it be clearly a bright white as say Ilford MG B&W paper is?

I have used Supra in the past so why don't I know what unexposed areas look like? Well the problem was that in the past I used to do borderless 5x8s on an 8x10 in a Varioformat

I have never seen unexposed but developed and blixed Supra before to compare

PS Don't worry, Puggie, this wasn't your paper so have no fear as Sgt Major Snudge in the Army Game used to say

Second PS. Anyone out there with a Colourstar 3000? I could do with some help but I'll say no more for now. Too much for one thread

Thanks all

Mike
Old 5th June 2011, 06:26 PM
Friend

The unexposed area should be bright white, at least the stocks I've used (they are/were within the expiration term) look so. I had an ivory border problem only with a bad batch of chems (the bleach was faulty to begin with).

Cheers, M.
Old 5th June 2011, 06:55 PM
Friend

Thanks Marty. I can rule out bad blix as the blix was only made up immediately prior to use last night.

However if the unexposed area should be bright white that suggests age-fogged paper. It certainly isn't bright white by any stretch of the imagination.

It looks as if I need to open up a 10x8 box I acquired and try again.

Mike
Old 26th September 2015, 12:57 PM
Friend

Default Calibration

Is it possible to calibrate a device using Kodak Paper when you will (I assume) be using Fuji paper.

The filtration values are different, by not much, but they are different.
Old 26th September 2015, 04:06 PM
Friend

Default cream

If the white base is ivory /cream colour your paper is past its best. I have used paper that is aged like yours for contact sheets just to get a rough idea what is on the negs, you would end up pulling your hair out with frustration trying to get the colour right with old paper.
Old 26th September 2015, 06:52 PM
Friend

Wow this is a "real rave from the grave" as they used to say about playing old records on Radio 2 but thanks for the replies.

Despite it being over 4 years ago I recall that I only bothered with one print but the colours were in fact spot-on. The borders were cream as I had said and the print a little dark but that would have been easily corrected by exposure.

I think I just lost interest in colour printing and left it at that.
There was no doubt other more pressing matters about the house that needed my attention

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies