Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 31st October 2016, 12:58 PM
Friend

I spoke to Rodney Bates the owner of Firstcall Photographic, the importers of LPL Enlargers and ran the circumstances past him and his response was that, The ceramic base is quite brittle and due to heat from the enlarger they can develop hairline cracks, allow a current leakage and give the symptoms I experienced.

Spares are stocked and I will be ordering one.
Old 31st October 2016, 05:34 PM
Friend

john, just as a matter of interest did your conversation with Firstcall cover whether the ceramic base is the same as the one on a Durst?

I am hoping it might be the same as the enlarger lamps for colour enlargers have standard prongs so I assume that the ceramic bases may be the same as well. I have a spare, bought as a new item from e-bay which I have yet to need and it may "see me out" as they say but a supply source such as Firstcall would be nice just in case.

Thanks

Mike
Old 31st October 2016, 05:40 PM
Friend

Default Ceramic base

Sorry Mike I didn't think to ask. As the fitting will be the same for the bulb, I would imagine that the base is the same or very similar design. Mine is on the end of two wires fixed to the ceramic and the wires dissapear into the workings of the enlarger head. Again I never thought to look when I had the head apart. The new bases cost about £8.50.
Old 31st October 2016, 05:59 PM
Friend

Thanks John. Your description at least gives me hope that the base may be the same .

I can always ask Rodney if needs be

Mike
Old 31st October 2016, 07:04 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

A quick Google search came up with these http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/25-...rfnonsku=false

£ 18.42 for a pack of 5.

Toolstation also do one for MR16 bulbs that seem to be an equivalent for 54 pence each. Not sure if they will take the heat though as they seem to be for lower powered lamps.
Old 31st October 2016, 07:22 PM
Friend

I have bought them from Maplin for about £3 or £4. They had at least a couple of sizes in the shop. People have recommended that they should be changed with every new bulb but I think that is a bit excessive, they do last longer than that.

Tony
Old 31st October 2016, 08:35 PM
Friend

When I googled Maplin it instantly came up with the ceramic holder so I think this must have come up on the forum before as Google remembered my last search for Maplin

They do look very similar. My Durst ones are not as round as these. having more of a rounded flatter domino shape but if the fitting quoted is the same then they are half the price and while I agree with Tony that the holder may last beyond the life of a bulb it might be safer to change the holder each time a bulb goes.

Mike
Old 1st November 2016, 07:55 AM
Friend

I think I would rather stick with the original spare parts. My past experience with 'alternative' spare parts for my two BMW motorcycles leads me to think the originals are much better made. When I have used 'alternatives', I found I ended up replacing them very shortly afterwards with the real thing

The place it will be working in is very confined space and has no through ventilation, depending instead an an alloy cast lid with cooling ribs to get rid of the excess heat. I was told when I spoke to Firstcall that most of the failures were down to the heat generated by the bulb which caused the cracks.
Old 4th November 2016, 01:50 PM
Friend

Default Bulb

I fitted a new bulb today (Osram) and when I removed the old one it actually fell to pieces. The reflector dropped off the bulb capsule but remained intact. It's gone for reycling.
Old 4th November 2016, 01:52 PM
Friend

Default Part Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
When I googled Maplin it instantly came up with the ceramic holder so I think this must have come up on the forum before as Google remembered my last search for Maplin

They do look very similar. My Durst ones are not as round as these. having more of a rounded flatter domino shape but if the fitting quoted is the same then they are half the price and while I agree with Tony that the holder may last beyond the life of a bulb it might be safer to change the holder each time a bulb goes.

Mike
Is there a part number or other search criteria for Maplins website, I cannot seem to find it.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies