Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th December 2008, 08:15 PM
Friend

Thanks for the link Trevor, I see the name for Lodima paper is `Amidol` spelt backwards. I hope this product becomes available in the UK soon.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:33 PM
Friend

I took part in a little Platinum Palladium workshop in Cambridge last year and enjoyed it hugely. I then realised that what the guy (David Chow) was using was in fact a printers platemaking (Parkers) machine.

After experiencing a nice little warm glow at seeing one again (been in the trade for years). I thought that I should be able to find one of those for reasonable money. One month later I bought one on Evilbay for £75.

Great bargain - it has a vacuum bed with a timer plus an ultra violet head with three bulbs. I am sure that I can substitute the UV bulbs for straight ones and use it for Silver gelatin-based contacts too.

The vac bed is roughly 24 inches square - so it ought to make things easy for quite large contacts in a few years time.

I had intended to buy a set of Platinum/Palladium chems soon. I intend to try Kallitypes and maybe salt printing later this year.

I have two 5x4 enlargers so I thought I might try making a few large inter-negs whilst I am at it. Having said that I am already set up to make large dodgital negs easily. OOPS sorry for mentioning that word...

In any case if we had a reasonable work flow - I would also be looking for a nice 5x4 or 10x8 camera. But we don't, and if she who must be obeyed caught even a whiff of what I want to do - its a designer minus his furry-friends!
Old 21st May 2009, 11:24 AM
Friend

I do aqlittle bit of contact printing, I hav a (very) old 10/8, formally a plate camera from around 1900,and adapted for film, mostly studio shots, great fun, Richard
Old 21st May 2009, 08:03 PM
Friend

Sorry Trevor I thought this tread was about making contact sheets of my 35mm negs with the Patterson glass frame. Boy do I feel small.

vincent
Old 21st May 2009, 08:57 PM
Friend

Not at all Vincent. I should have been more precise in my OP.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 21st May 2009, 09:04 PM
Friend

Here's a recent attempt. St. Bega's church on the shore of Bassenthwaite.
10x8 contact printed onto Kentmere VC Select by way of a trial exposure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	St-Beda-Church-sm.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	245  
Old 30th August 2009, 10:23 PM
Friend

I've done mostly contact printing since buying my Walker Titan 10x8 last year. My enlarger carrier only goes up to whole plate, so I'm planning on either adapting it to take the full 10x8, or making a lightbox back for the Walker to use it as a horizontal enlarger.
The contact prints I've done so far have been very pleasing, apart from the tiny, tiny dust marks which are a total pain to retouch out.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:28 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sanderson View Post
SNIP
The contact prints I've done so far have been very pleasing, apart from the tiny, tiny dust marks which are a total pain to retouch out.
That made me smile, as it's one aspect of contact printing that I had not encountered - yet!
Old 31st August 2009, 09:50 AM
Friend

If that's Andrew Sanderson snuck into the forum, he's one person I had really hoped would get here. Thank you for Night photography and a lot of other things.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:55 AM
Administrator

It is indeed, welcome Andrew.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies