Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 3rd July 2017, 07:36 AM
Friend

Default Poundland film

Has Poundland stopped selling the 24 exp films? None of the three shops in my area have any stock and have not had any for several weeks. In fact if you ask the staff, all you get are vacant looks as if you are asking for a copy of Hitler's book - Mein Kampf!
Old 3rd July 2017, 03:30 PM
Friend

I asked the other day

Quote:
Subject: Poundland: Product no. 93438 - AGFA Vista Plus Camera Film 200/24
JUL 01, 2017 | 02:46PM BST
Kelly replied:

Dear Mr Bloor,

Thank you for your email.

I am afraid that this item is no longer available in our warehouse and we have no future orders placed.

I appreciate this may be disappointing and can assure you our buyers will endeavour to bring similar products to our customer in the future.
Kind Regards
Kelly
Customer Relations
Poundland
Does not look hopeful. As Fuji reducing 120ISO offering to only C200 (which is what Agfa Vista is, but rebadged) seems unlikely that they will want to generate competition against themselves.
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:48 PM
Friend

Still shown online as in stock.
Old 3rd July 2017, 10:23 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Still shown online as in stock.
Read the e-mail reply. The website may have a page for it, they may have a product number but they DONT have any in warehouse and don't plan to order more. What is in shops is the tail end of stocks,
Old 4th July 2017, 12:06 AM
Friend

The key question was: how was Poundland was able to sell this film at £1 when no-one else could come close to this price. I suspect that somehow Poundland was able to buy this film at a ridiculously low price by whatever means - maybe the seller was told to "get rid" at any price by senior management who decided a "fire-sale" was called for and Poundland bought vast quantities in a "win/win" situation The buyer got a bargain and the seller gained kudos because he did as he was told and off-loaded what he was told to off-load.

Then the seller's company realised what it had done and that it was competing against itself so the source of Poundland's good fortune dried up or as in my example below it had bought all the remaining stock and once it was gone it was gone.

There are a number of big players who buy bargains in large quantities on the basis of "when it's gone it's gone"

I recall that when my local branch of Aldi opened it sold Kodak colour film at a bargain price. It was a Kodak discontinued line so literally once it was gone it was gone. It has never sold film since and unless a film company decides to have another "fire sale" I doubt if it will ever sell film again.

Opportunist buying of this kind is great for the consumer as long as that consumer realises that at some time the party has to come to an end because the alcohol runs out .

Mike
Old 4th July 2017, 06:15 AM
Friend

Sad really, but it - the Agfa branded film, is still available at 'more normal' prices from some of the usual photographic dealers. It may be that Poundland were not able to buy the stock at the usual trade prices where they could still sell it for £1 and make a profit.

As it is acknowledged the the 'Agfa' film was actually Fuji CN200, to keep the production line viable they, Fuji will probably sell it to whoever asks, but at a price which Poundland would not touch.

MORCO are still selling Fuji Superia 36 exp at 3 for £11 so I may well stock up - just in case.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
MORCO are still selling Fuji Superia 36 exp at 3 for £11 so I may well stock up - just in case.
Wow, John that would be an unsustainable price for me. Let's hope that for the sake of Fuji C41 sales, it isn't unsustainable for most.

Mike
Old 4th July 2017, 12:30 PM
Friend

Default film prices

Take heart. Morco are also selling Fuji CN200 at 2.50 for 36 3xp or 7.50 for 3, but still a load more expensive than Poundland. AG is cheaper still for a 3 pack. £5.85 for 24 exp and £6.85 for 36 exp of the Agfa version

Last edited by John King; 4th July 2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 4th July 2017, 01:22 PM
Friend

Sorry John what is unsustainable for me is my eyesight. I somehow read it as £11 per film and completely missed the figure 3 as in 3 for £11.

Still not cheap but at least sustainable

Mike
Old 4th July 2017, 02:59 PM
Friend

It's quite a good price compared to some other outlets, and compared to B&W.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies