Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Sale or Wanted

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th August 2018, 06:23 PM
Friend

Default Wanted: Enlarger Timer

I am only just starting out making prints in the darkroom and therefore I don't want to invest huge amounts of money incase I decide its not for me.

I am more or less kitted up now apart from a timer for the enlarger. At the moment, I am counting in my head which isn't really ideal.

I bought this timer from eBay for 99p but the internal motor is open circuit so unless anyone has one kicking about in a box, its going in the dustbin.

If you know anyone who has a spare timer I can beg, steal or borrow, then please ask them to get in touch.

Ian
Old 20th August 2018, 09:28 PM
Administrator

If you don't have luck finding a timer, I used a metronome and counted seconds for the longest time (mucho years). As we generally only deal with a few tens of seconds at most when printing it seemed simpler. If you have a smartphone, there are metronome apps available for free. A black card used to intercept the light and an on/off switch completed the "equipment". Dev/stop/fix can be timed with a simple kitchen timer (or an app).

I wrote my own timer as an Android app a few weeks ago and put the (currently incomplete) manual in the Articles section here. The app's working title on the Google Play Store is: FADU F-Stop Enlarger Timer. It has a metronome tick mode, or it can just tick off the last 5 seconds which can be useful if switching the lamp manually.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 20th August 2018, 09:38 PM
Friend

Can I suggest you look at the website of 'Second hand darkroom supplies'. They are based in Oxfordshire. Whilst the source of used times has slowed quite a bit over the past few years. Simon the owner, seems to manage to find a few good ones.

I have just looked and he has a good selection (14) from around £53 to £300 ish

Last edited by John King; 20th August 2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbarber View Post
I am only just starting out making prints in the darkroom and therefore I don't want to invest huge amounts of money incase I decide its not for me.

I am more or less kitted up now apart from a timer for the enlarger. At the moment, I am counting in my head which isn't really ideal.

I bought this timer from eBay for 99p but the internal motor is open circuit so unless anyone has one kicking about in a box, its going in the dustbin.

If you know anyone who has a spare timer I can beg, steal or borrow, then please ask them to get in touch.

Ian

Hi Ian, I have a Philips electronic timer you could have for the cost of postage. I'll look it out and PM you with details
Old 22nd August 2018, 12:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
Hi Ian, I have a Philips electronic timer you could have for the cost of postage. I'll look it out and PM you with details
Thank you, really appreciate that
Old 22nd August 2018, 03:20 PM
Administrator

To avoid spamming this thread and to keeps subjects separate, I have moved the posts regarding the Android Enlarger project to a new thread: http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ad.php?t=12135

Cheers, Bob.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies