Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2021, 12:33 AM
Friend

Cool Advice pls...

Hi all, thx for letting me join.
have Just resurrected my interest in analogue film processing.
I have a 1888 wooden kodak #1 which i am anxious to play around with but first i think i will get back into film development after 40 yrs.
I Have found an old cache of exposed film so need to know whether development is still possible. Several rolls need the E-4 process which I believe is discontinued.
Are there any alternatives out there......
Any advice would be appreciated.....
Thx
JTM
Old 25th February 2021, 01:03 PM
Friend

Welcome JTM to FADU. If it were me I'd certainly want to try and develop that old cache of film. All the b&w can be developed in current developers but the outcome will depend very much on how well the exposed negs have retained their exposures which in turn depends on how those films have been stored

Those requiring the E-4 process are another kettle of fish. I fear. I'd have thought these are probably not capable of processing in the current E-6 but I am not knowledgeable enough to be sure.

Let us know what the films are, how old they might be and we might be able give some better advice

Mike
Old 25th February 2021, 02:12 PM
Friend

Developing B/W is not a problem, I would use something li8ke Ilford id11 or Kodak d76, but the E4 will be a problem, I don't know of anyone in the UK or EU that develops E4, it is a very long time ago, there was a lab in America that developed E4, but I don't know if they still do it, I would certainly try the B/W
Richard
Old 25th February 2021, 04:02 PM
Friend

If you fancy a gamble:

https://www.traiaphotolab.co.uk/our-services

Unless you think your film includes a nice clear view of a man on a grassy knoll in Dallas, or has huge sentimental value, don't expect too much from it. As said, E4 film was discontinued in 1976 and could be much older. If it's been stored badly (especially somewhere too hot) it will be fogged/colour shifted/ blotchy or too faint to print.

I think the 1888 Kodak was a factory loaded camera? Users sent it back to Kodak who processed the film and returned a freshly reloaded camera. Someone wiser than me might know if they can be converted to use 120.
Old 25th February 2021, 04:09 PM
Friend

Thanks both. The E-4 films are Kodak EKTACHROME High Speed Slide films circa 1975 or a tad later.
I have also got a load of C-41 films various brands that I am undecided on as yet.
The B&W was bulk FP4 but god knows if I pushed any of them LOL its rated at 125 so will have to dig out my old Pentax & Canon to see what the options on them are. (not even sure if they do 125 so probably 100 or 200...
Any advice on the best side to err?
Thx Jonesthemilk.
Old 25th February 2021, 04:13 PM
Friend

Hi Skellum, you are quite correct. However I put 120 in it and took half a dozen shots back in 1974 so don't really see a problem there .
The negs are round deliberately so that orientation of the camera was not an issue. (In fact, Scanning these negs was what revived my recent interest) . The need Photoshopping as they are a tad underdeveloped :-)
Old 26th February 2021, 09:42 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Developing B/W is not a problem, I would use something li8ke Ilford id11 or Kodak d76, but the E4 will be a problem, I don't know of anyone in the UK or EU that develops E4, it is a very long time ago, there was a lab in America that developed E4, but I don't know if they still do it, I would certainly try the B/W
Richard
I heard that Ektachrome-X, intended to be processed in E4, was partly funded by NASA's space program.
The E4 process preceded the first developer with a prehardener containing succinaldehyde (nasty) and a neutraliser to prevent the emulsions of the era tended from falling off at raised temperature. I heard of mixed results from processing in E6. One problem was edge-frilling and bits of gelatine floating in the developer. The colours were a bit odd, too.
If you ignore the risk of the image having faded away, film designed for the E4 process could be processed in E2/E3. Although frowned on by Kodak, many photographers in the late 1960s were trying this. There are many published formulae for E3/E3.
Old 8th March 2021, 09:34 AM
Friend

Thanks, i will certainly look into that.
JTM
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies