Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Filters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 4th January 2017, 10:49 PM
Friend

Another one who had a lot of empty skies in his work was Robert Adams. Buried deep in this lengthy, but very readable article are details of the developing technique he employed to get very smooth skies -taping the ends of the roll film together and then manually passing the film through the chemicals in total darkness.

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2011/...m-what-we.html

Michael
Old 5th January 2017, 12:53 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
Another one who had a lot of empty skies in his work was Robert Adams. Buried deep in this lengthy, but very readable article are details of the developing technique he employed to get very smooth skies -taping the ends of the roll film together and then manually passing the film through the chemicals in total darkness.

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2011/...m-what-we.html

Michael
Thanks for the link. A ripping good read.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 5th January 2017, 01:32 PM
Friend

Thanks Marty I must admit I greatly enjoyed reading it too. I like Adams' work a lot. Even though at first glance there isn't much going on in many of his photographs, they do have a habit of drawing me in. Perhaps it's because living in Northern Ireland I don't get to see many cloudless skies...
Michael
Old 24th January 2017, 10:21 PM
Friend

Brilliant thread this, thanks for all the links and references guys.

Having said that I like grit and contrast I was printing a photograph the other week and after leaving a couple of test prints for a few days ended up going for a soft contrast grade and fairly long print i.e. to print down the highlights. Like all these things it depends on the image and what you want to it to convey.

The easy perhaps obvious answer to the original question is just to try printing at a much softer grade and for a good long time to get the grey. Always worth a try just to see how it looks.
Old 3rd January 2018, 09:22 PM
Friend

Default Superb!

Hi,

My thanks too for the lead, I have long admired Mitch Epstein's work having seen a moving (for me, personally) exhibition in a gallery I forget the name of in Amsterdam. Robert Adams may be the "lodestone" for some of MAs work (American Power).

More importantly I am DELIGHTED to find a photography forum that offers both practical help for my practice and a place to admire (and learn from) others.

Robert
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies