Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Site Forums > News and Announcements

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th January 2021, 02:52 PM
Friend

Default Kickstarter for Hasselblad Instax Back

I've just come across this campaign, for an new instant back for Hasselblad cameras, and I know there are a few owners out there!

The campaign has finished but it says that they will be available to buy in 2021.

It takes over from the Polaroid back, using Fuji Instax film instead.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rn/description

Shame that it's only for Hasselblad cameras though.

Terry S
Old 24th January 2021, 03:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Shame that it's only for Hasselblad cameras though.
Terry S
Or it could be the perfect excuse for adding a Hasselblad camera to accessorize your Instax back!

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th January 2021, 05:41 PM
Friend

Good one, Marty! :-)
Well, no not for me. Makes it the tiny format, doesn't it?
Frank
Old 25th January 2021, 09:20 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanFrank View Post
Good one, Marty! :-)
Well, no not for me. Makes it the tiny format, doesn't it?
Frank
The image area of Instax film is 46mm x 62mm, so it would work out quite well. Better than the Polaroid pack film back I had for my Mamiya 645, where the small image was in one corner of the print.
Old 25th January 2021, 09:33 AM
Friend

I use instax wide in my instax 200 camera or with my 5x4 camera
Old 25th January 2021, 12:04 PM
Friend

Default A failed KickStart?

As a long-time Hasselblad user, the concept of an instant-print back is appealing. I didn't know of it before today. But when I looked at the website, I found hundreds of comments from angry backers, asking about delivery or demanding a refund. Evidently COVID is offered as an excuse.
I mated a Polaroid Swinger to a Hasselblad in the late sixties. My Swingelblad wasn't much cop because it got in the way of the wind-on crank and I couldn't find the original knob. There was no darkslide and the two elastic bands interfered with the lens-release button and the shutter release. I don't think I got further than the first two or three images.
At work we used the 50asa packs that provided a printable negative, which was (almost?) the same speed as the 5x4" Ektachrome of the day, so it checked on exposure..

Last edited by JOReynolds; 25th January 2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 25th January 2021, 01:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
But when I looked at the website, I found hundreds of comments from angry backers, asking about delivery or demanding a refund. Evidently COVID is offered as an excuse.
I didn't see these comments, but have just passed on the link.

COVID may be a legitimate reason, for it seems that the company behind this item, have also made some other items via Kickstarter, although again I haven't checked the comments, but I'm sure most buyers would have done before signing up for something new... surely???... I know I would and have, having now bought a number of things via several campaigns. They all over run and yes, there were calls for refunds. I held out on them all though and got what was promised.

So, the bottom line is, accept that there will be bumps along the road on Kickstarter campaigns, as the majority are first time creators. Compare this to bigger named manufacturers, who build an item and then advertise and sell it. The majority of Kickstarter etc. have to do the opposite with their campaigns and have to get the funds first, before manufacture and occasionally thing go slightly wonky.

Terry S
Old 25th January 2021, 06:09 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundH View Post
The image area of Instax film is 46mm x 62mm, so it would work out quite well. Better than the Polaroid pack film back I had for my Mamiya 645, where the small image was in one corner of the print.
Hi Edmund,
Thanks for the information. Well.. or rather not. Very tempting and very expensive.
Frank
Old 27th January 2021, 12:33 AM
Administrator

I also saw the irate comments, but also saw that they had delivered on a photo-related project in the past so figured they were legit. However, even those with the best intentions on Kickstarter often over-reach themselves. Not sure if that has happened here, as they do have project experience which seems to be where people usually come unstuck - not realising the effort and multiple skillsets required. Their initial target seems very low (might just about pay for the mouldings) but again, some better organised companies often just use Kickstarter as a sort of marketing engine rather than need the money to get started. From what little I read, they may have made some design changes which will not have helped in hitting their target date...

Bottom line in my view is that they are legit but have hit some snags and combined with Covid-19, that has set them badly late. As Terry says - Kickstarter is a bumpy road - don't expect things to go smoothly and accept that you may end up with nothing for your money through people biting off more than they can chew, or deliberate fraud (though actual fraud is more likely on Indiegogo due to the way they allow projects to cash in without reaching the target amount).
Old 27th January 2021, 12:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
...or deliberate fraud (though actual fraud is more likely on Indiegogo due to the way they allow projects to cash in without reaching the target amount).
An interesting point there Bob. I must look into that, although anything that I have backed has, by chance, been on Kickstarter.

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies