Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th February 2020, 12:01 AM
Friend

Being British, talking about the weather is in our blood. I went a bit further and set up a couple of thermometers in the back garden, and when one was going cheap picked up a whirling hygrometer to measure the relative humidity.
It is a wet bulb and dry bulb pair of thermometers that are spun around and the relative humidity determined from the readings.

What I found out very quickly was the hygrometers mounted on ornaments around the house are only indicators of the change in the RH. Increasing or decreasing. Even after adjusting using the damp tea towel method, non of them were accurate, they just showed an increase or decrease in RH.
So giving actual values from ornamental hygrometers is a waste of time, unless you have a decent hair hygrometer, or whirling hygrometer.

The advice I received many years ago was not to store cameras and lenses in polybags, but to use stout paper bags or cardboard shoe boxes. Breathability in the container was an important thing. But that was before silica gel was so widely available.

ps. Modern electronic hygrometers are reasonably accurate, and would fit inside your chosen container. The two that I was given actually mentioned a limited accurate working life, and after about two years they were all haywire.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

Last edited by Nat Polton; 25th February 2020 at 12:07 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies