Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Equipment

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Friend

Default Walker Titan 4x5 XL

At the start of January 09 I decided that I wanted to ‘upgrade’ my current 4x5 wooden field camera and sat down to do some serious research into what options were available from the manufacturers of which I was aware.
I had already decided what I wanted and needed out of a camera so straight away that narrowed my choices considerably. After seeing the specs for the Titan XL 4x5 on Mike Walkers website I phoned Mike on the Friday and after a lengthy and very helpful chat I decided that it was the one for me!
Although Mike was busy fulfilling other order commitments my camera was built really quickly and I received it six weeks after I placed the order.

Walker cameras are made out of ABS, which is moulded, matt black/grey in colour and uses stainless steel fittings. One of the benefits for me as a landscape photographer with these materials is that ABS doesn’t expand like wood can in the UK’s rainy climate. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was how sturdy and rugged it felt.

It weighs 2kg, which is fine for me when I’m hiking.
Being a non-folder it is very quick to set up and use, I can now set up and focus my camera in half the time to when I used my wooden field camera.
To some, the cameras movements may seen restrictive, in fact the rear standard is completely fixed but for me this was another plus point. In the past I had issues with image sharpness. A couple of days ago I took identical images with my old field camera and my Walker, I then printed both negatives and even on 10x8 paper I could see a marked difference in sharpness. I can only put this down to the Walker being made a lot more precisely and having the rear standard completely parallel.
Focusing can be done on both the rear and front standard.
The front standard has rise/fall and swing with axis tilts, which lock tightly, although the front shift is an optional extra but I choose against it.
The camera has bubble levels on the side and top of the rear standard and one on top of the front standard.
The standard bellows has a maximum extension of 190mm and a minimum extension of 47mm. The lens in the pictures is a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon and I have had no problems with this lens and the standard bellows although any wider and I think the bag bellows would be a must.
On the rear standard there is an international Grafolk back which unclips at the top to change orientation from landscape to portrait.
The standard screen is a fresnel which gives an extra two stops but Mike didn’t have these in stock so he added a Bosscreen which I think is fantastic at no extra cost. A screen protector is then clipped onto the screen before being packed away.

More pictures and details can be found at www.walkercameras.com

To be honest, I’m like a kid with a new toy at the moment. I really like using this camera, it suites my style of shooting. It hasn’t got that lovely look and smell of a wooden camera but that doesn’t bother me, what is important to me is that I have precise tool which will take great photographs and I don’t think this camera will let me down!
Old 26th March 2009, 12:33 PM
Friend

Must confess I have been drooling over one of their 5x7s for some time. They seem to be designed for incredibly simple use without bells and whistles with just the movements you need. My only concern is that they are specifically designed for the shorter lenses. If you wanted to use a 300mm lens you couldn't. But if you have a preference for wide angle lenses, then that's not a problem.
Old 26th March 2009, 04:08 PM
Friend

Congratulations Mike

Glad for you it has eventually arrived

Hope you produce lots of stunning images with it for many years to come

Martin
Old 26th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Friend

Mike,
I've been looking at Walker Cameras for some time, I like the SF but is little
heavy at 3 kg. The XL is right weight for me but can't use my 210mm although
I could use a top hat board, I will have good think about it, as I do like your camera very much.
Then I also fancy an Ebony RW 45 that would suit all my requirements, we'll
see.
Thanks for posting and enjoy your lovely camera.
Regards JON.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 27th March 2009, 07:26 AM
Friend

I too considered this range of cameras, but couldn’t quite persuade myself to buy one made of plastic, even though I accept that it is a durable and versatile material eminently suitable for this task. There is just something about the tactile quality of a wooden camera that I couldn’t resist, so I went the Shen Hao route. I must try and remember not to take it out in the rain. In fact, the way things are at the moment, I must remember to take it out.
Thank for posting details of your purchase, and keep us up to date with how you get on with it in the field.
Old 27th March 2009, 07:18 PM
Friend

I had a lovely green 5x4 XL - great all-weather camera. A pleasure to use and never had a problem with it ever - apart from it wouldn't morph into a 10x8
Old 28th March 2009, 07:16 AM
Friend

I have the 5x7. I wondered about the tactile wood vs ABS issue (as a former and current Ebony owner) and my personal verdict on whether ABS is worthy is YES!!!!!!!!!! The non-folding Ebony 5x4s are very rigid (such as the RSW, SW, 45s etc), but the Walker is quite simply in a different league. It is - S-O-L-I-D in a way that wooden cameras are not, even when made out of ebony and titanium. Changes to the wood due to temperature and humidity are not an issue with the Walker. Take a UK adjusted Ebony somewhere hot and dry and all of a sudden you will get wobbles, which you will have to adjust out. Take it back and it will be stiff and need adjusting again.

The 5x7 will take a 400mm Tele so you still have some long lens options. I intend to get the SSchenider 400mm at some point... I hope.

The swings and tilts feel a lot better on the walker due to the lack of annoying detentes yet easy zero register.

I have the 5x4 back which is handy and easy to use (although you need to refocus).

I am not a long lens user in the main and so this camera is great for me, but with the ability to use a tele-xenar if I wish. I can still use a 72 on a flat panel so going wide on 5x7 is not a problem.

The best bit remains the solidity and easy of use. There are no real idiosyncrasies to slow you down or make you doubt yourself. It just does what it is supposed to do with no fuss. That is worth a lot to me.

PS, the ABS and stainless steel is actually rather pretty...
Old 30th March 2009, 07:34 AM
Friend

Nice one Mike. So have you retired the Shen Hao?

Their spec. is very good and perfect for wide angle photography (similar to the Ebony SW45) but as mentioned limited with the longer focal lengths, but can be done with the use of the 'top hat' panel and extension tubes.

Their 8x10 is also a super camera which Andrew Sanderson reviewed in a recent issue of B&W.

When I was looking for a suitable 8x10 camera I was not aware that Mike was producing one otherwise I probably could have saved myself a fair bit of cash
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 30th March 2009, 04:15 PM
Friend

Default ah but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
Nice one Mike. So have you retired the Shen Hao?

Their spec. is very good and perfect for wide angle photography (similar to the Ebony SW45) but as mentioned limited with the longer focal lengths, but can be done with the use of the 'top hat' panel and extension tubes.

Their 8x10 is also a super camera which Andrew Sanderson reviewed in a recent issue of B&W.

When I was looking for a suitable 8x10 camera I was not aware that Mike was producing one otherwise I probably could have saved myself a fair bit of cash
I am sure the ebony looks lovely on the tripod indoors even when it is not in use
Old 30th March 2009, 06:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRadford View Post
I am sure the ebony looks lovely on the tripod indoors even when it is not in use
It does look lovely indoors, far too nice to take out doors
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies