Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 10th June 2020, 06:39 AM
Friend

Svend, have you actually lost images on panF by delaying development for just a month, or are you being influenced by Internet tales?
I have used a lot of PanF over the years, and two things are true:
When I had a permanent darkroom I sometimes had the film processed within half an hour of exposure. That routine produced some of the most beautiful negs I've ever made.
I have also had PanF sitting in the Mamiya for weeks at a time, and when finally processed the fist and last frames looked just the same.
Old 10th June 2020, 08:02 AM
Print Exchange Manager

I have been loading bulk loading film for 50+ years. I first made a loader that had to be used in the D/R. Currently I use an AP Loader. This is he same as those marketed under several different names - Fuji, Kaiser etc. I have also got a Watson but have never actually used it.

I use reloadable plastic, metal, DX coded and not and reclaimed cassettes before they crimped them closed. Never tried extracting and reloading through the felt film opening. The only problem experienced other than the occasional scratched film and light leak at the beginning of the film or I didn't shut it properly, is hat I have found that 'Barfen' plastic cassettes jam in the loader.

Mike
Old 12th June 2020, 07:58 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Svend, have you actually lost images on panF by delaying development for just a month, or are you being influenced by Internet tales?
I have used a lot of PanF over the years, and two things are true:
When I had a permanent darkroom I sometimes had the film processed within half an hour of exposure. That routine produced some of the most beautiful negs I've ever made.
I have also had PanF sitting in the Mamiya for weeks at a time, and when finally processed the fist and last frames looked just the same.
Hi Skellum - not sure I would call them internet tales. Rather the reports by some well-respected photographers with more experience than I have, and whose opinions I respect. That said, no, I have not lost images from PanF due to this, as I've always been diligent about developing within a couple of weeks of starting a roll. And yes, I did this because of all the heresay evidence out there. Good to hear your feedback however. Very reassuring.

Agreed about PanF giving beautiful negs. Some of my best negs have also been with PanF -- it's now my go-to film for winter scenes...developed in Perceptol 1+1 it gives a glow to the images that I haven't achieved with any other film-developer combo.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:49 PM
Friend

Default My New Film Winder.

I have not been able to find the film winder I made many years ago, so I set to in the shed and knocked up a new one.
The only paint I had was Hammerite Black.
Lasts well, but the finish is a bit bumpy.
A lot of people get by very well using a piece of wooden dowel with a slot cut in the end, but I had a longing for my old style winder.
Obviously something like this has to be used in complete darkness, but I got used to that years ago.

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1592830117

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1&d=1592830117

All screwed onto a spare G clamp.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FILM WINDER 2.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	3807   Click image for larger version

Name:	FILM WINDER.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	3808  
Old 23rd June 2020, 02:39 PM
Friend

Nat, that really is great work. Are you a machinist? Very professional job. And such a simple, rugged design. Should last a lifetime. Now all you need is a bulk roll and you're off!
Old 28th June 2020, 07:29 PM
Friend

Svend, another work around is mark out on a bench the length of 6 exposures (or however many you prefer). Maybe two nails in the bench standing proud at each end of that distance. Shoot your film in multiples of 6 (or whatever it was). At the end of your shoot, wind the film back in to the cassette leaving the leader out. In the dark, use the two markers (nails in the bench) to pull out the correct number of exposures to develop (taking into account a safety factor to account for your leader length.
Pete
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:37 AM
Friend

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photo...ad%20bulk.html

Excellent article available at the site of Roger and Frances.
It has information on bulk loading, and an interesting chart for how many turns of the cassette to roughly get the amount of frames you want to dispense of your bulk film.
Well worth reading even if you use a daylight machine.
Cheers.
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:19 PM
Friend

Pete, Nat - thanks very much for the tips and info. I've been looking around here for a used bulk loader for sale but it's slim pickings on any film-related gear here these days. New ones are too pricey....not worth it for my low usage. In the meantime I think I will use one of the workarounds suggested in previous posts and just open the camera with partially exposed roll in a changing bag, extract the exposed film and load it onto a reel. I can trim a fresh leader later on the remainder. Best of course is to shoot the whole roll of PanF within a month, but that may not always be feasible.
Old 4th July 2020, 02:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
open the camera with partially exposed roll in a changing bag, extract the exposed film and load it onto a reel..
Oh, yes, I forgot you can do that with most 35mm cameras.
Pete
Old 24th January 2024, 09:15 PM
Friend

Default Lloyd bulk loaders

Spend
I first bought a Watson Bakelite lovely thing but got a bit confused over the locking and unlocking gate arrangement, also didn’t like the film wastage,
Bought a Lloyd, loved it’s simplicity so bought another one to carry a different film stock, they work great for me
Good luck
Ben
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies