Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Articles > Articles

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes
Living with a 1950's Folder
Brian
16th January 2009

Camera - ADOX mess Golf II circa 1953
Purchase Price - £25 from Photographica 2007 complete with case
Service Price - £55
Lens...
By Richard Gould on 17th January 2009, 02:59 PM

Brian, Iwould'nt have the lens recoated, use a len's'hood, else you will lose the charm of the camera, old cameras have a ''look'' all of their own, so different from a modern camera,at least, I think so, Richard
By Rob Archer on 31st January 2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks for this article Brian. I was given Franka Solida II a few years ago, and used it a bit but the shutter speeds below 1/25 didn't work at all. I'd been meaning to get it professionally restored for some time, but funds haven't permitted yet. I've tried your trick with lighter fuel and the camera now works fine on all shutter speeds (although I have my doubts about accuracy - so I probably won't be using transparency film in it!).

A young family means less chance to carry heavy cameras and tripod on holiday, and the Franka is so light and easy to use I can see it becoming my main MF camera for the next few years.

Rob
By Paul Mitchell on 31st January 2009, 03:24 PM

After much searching and trying to avoid that well known auction site I managed to buy an Agfa Super Isolette. It now pretty much goes everywhere with me. It does have a sticky shutter release button at the moment... must try and get it sorted... any suggestions welcome.

Paul
By Sandeha Lynch on 31st January 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
After much searching and trying to avoid that well known auction site I managed to buy an Agfa Super Isolette. It now pretty much goes everywhere with me. It does have a sticky shutter release button at the moment... must try and get it sorted... any suggestions welcome.

Paul
If it's crunchy there may be damage to the linkage, but if just sticky no doubt it's just accumulated grease and dust. A drop of Ronsonol on any visible linkage and two drops down the tube might clear it up.
By Paul Mitchell on 31st January 2009, 05:41 PM

It's just sticky so some lighter fluid might do the trick. Thanks for the tip Sandeha.

Paul
By Paul Mitchell on 2nd February 2009, 06:17 PM

Tried a drop of lighter fluid dribbled down a pin, works like a dream now! Thanks
By Sandeha Lynch on 2nd February 2009, 07:21 PM

That's great - it'll be a lot more comfortable to use now. If you ever open it up you might try a pindrop of Rem Oil on anything suspect. It's a very fine gun oil you can find on eBay - I know a couple of camera repairers who recommend it.
Comment
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search